Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing sign in on Windows 7 Machine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

I rebuilt a Dell Desktop computer due to a failed hard drive.  Ordered a new hard drive and installed Windows 7.  All went well and I was able to get all the devices set up.

My problem is that when I set the computer up I had not planned on selling it.  A friend saw it and wanted to buy.  I had already set the computer up with my Administrative  Microsoft User Name and Password.  

Now that I have sold it I want to get my sign in user name and password off the machine so they could put in their own username and password.  

I would appreciate some assistance on how to get this done.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Create a generic admin user without a password. Login to the new admin account. In the admin account delete your Administrative account. As far as I know Windows 7 does not use Microsoft Accounts, only local accounts.

After deleting your account press the WIndows key + R. In the Run box type

control userpasswords2 

Verify your Account is gone. If not select it and click Remove.

I would run CCleaner and select the option to Wipe Free Space on the hard drive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users