Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB to parallel cable.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimbir

jimbir

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

This is going to be a multipart question.
I have an HP DesignJet 330 plotter. It has a centronics parallel port for communication with a computer. I'm hoping to be able to connect it to a laptop running Windows 7 home premium with only USB ports available. I can obtain a USB to parallel cable.

What do you think my chances are to get this to work successfully?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

You can get a USB to centronics or a USB to parallel. I have never used one so I can't say it will work but there are reviews out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IEEE-1284-36-Pin-Parallel-Printer-Connector-Adapter-Cord-Cable-/121949015023?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Pin-IEEE-1284-Parallel-Port-D-Sub-Connector-to-USB-2-0-Printer-Adapter-Cable-/252558909756?

The big question is does the printer have drivers for Windows 7.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:41 PM

I'm not a big  fan of any adapter, they are generally a universal type and does not work in all applications.  Look into a plug in card to support a parallel port.  When it appears there is no driver for the port, use the windows7 to search for one or try their generic one.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:11 AM

I have a USB to parallel adaptor cable that worked on Windows 7 & is now working with Windows 10. It is an unbranded eBay cheapie. I use it with an old HP LaserJet4L. Windows has always found it's own drivers for both the cable and the printer. The only catch is that I have found you need to install the adaptor cable first & let Windows set up the driver, then disconnect the cable & connect the printer to it followed by re-connecting the cable to the computer - at which point Windows will be able to install a printer driver.

The latest DesignJet 330 drivers appear to be for Windows XP. Whether these work with Windows 7 will probably need to be determined by experimentation (unless you can find someone already using them)..

Edited by rqt, 24 March 2018 - 04:18 AM.

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

from a previous post:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/264693/outdated-hp-plotter-networked-to-use-on-7/

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

You might be better of to use and older desktop/laptop computer with Windows XP just to run that printer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users