Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Info Does Not Display

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:05 AM

When I use Offline Help in Windows Office products, I get:

Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

Try using the detect and repair tool accessed by clicking on "Help".

Also make sure your firewall is not blocking the Help function.

Which version of Office do you have?

#3 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:56 PM

I've been using Office for many years -- recently updated to Office Professional 2003 from a much earlier version. I didn't even realize that "detect and repair" existed under help in Office applications. (I first went looking for it in Windows OS Help.)

I ran it in Word. It automatically checked and configured and Offline Help now works. I tried Offline Help in Power Point -- still doesn't work. So I assume I have to run it for every application. I'm running it for Power Point as I'm typing this.

I'll let you know how it goes ... but it looks like this is the solution. Thanks for the tip!

#4 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

Looks like I wrote too soon. After running detect and repair in Power Point, I re-started the computer, thinking that might be the trick needed to get the configuration of Office 2003 working for all of Office. After that, Help had the same problem as before. Running detect and repair again doesn't help.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

Are you saying the fix for Word reverted?

#6 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

It might have reverted when I ran it again (first in Word and then in Power Point). Alternatively -- although I was sure that I clicked options in the right order so that I tested Offline Help the first time (when I reported it fixed) ... it might be possible that I didn't and actually pulled up an Online response instead. I don't think I did, but can't turn back the clock to make sure.

Anyway ... it doesn't work now.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:51 PM

How long has this anomaly been happening?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

I am not sure there is offline help.

Everything I click in the help category opens a browser and connects to on-line help.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

I get both offline and online help, though my computer will say that it cannot connect to online help and just gives me the offline options when I'm not connected.

Something weird concerning office help: I like to have all my Office suites in the same folder on the start menu, but when I put the MS suite there, office help doesn't work! I don't know if this may be related to Roger's problem or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 October 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:42 PM

I've had this problem for a very long time. I fixed it once by uninstalling and reinstalling everything. I got it again, and reinstalling didn't help. (I didn't uninstall first.) I don't want to uninstall and reinstall every time I use Office software. (OK exaggeration, but it's gotten old.)

My system also automatically provides Online help ... then once the search is done, there's an Offline Help option. Sometimes, it seems to reset back to Online Help, but I'm stubborn, so eventually I search and get a list of Offline Help topics related to my search.

#11 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:43 PM

Orange Blossom:

OK. What do you mean? I use Word often enough that it automatically appears in my Start list. The application does not start automatically when I turn the computer on.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

Mine doesn't start automatically either.

I was referring to the ordering of the files in the all programs part of the start menu. :thumbsup: I have WordPerfect, Open Office and Microsoft Office suites. I like to place all these suites into a single folder on that menu. It would appear that you don't customize your start menu, so my little glitch is apparently irrelevant to yours.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 October 2006 - 03:00 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

Everything I click in the help category opens a browser and connects to on-line help.

Most intriguing Enthusiast. A browser doesn't open for me:

Example: I click on the assistant, and type in my question and click on find:

A side bar opens with a list of possible answer topics. If online help is available I get those and underneath are possible answers available in the off-line help files. I click on a possible topic and a narrow window opens, but it is not an IE or Firefox browser, and it doesn't really look like an explorer window either, though it could be a variation of one. It does have back and forward navigation arrows at the top.

Orange Blossom

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

Like this:

Posted Image

And like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 October 2006 - 08:53 PM.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:10 AM

Enthusiast:

Thanks for the pictures. I get the first on my computer, though the panel you have on the far right pops up in a smaller size above my document on my computer at home. I've never gotten the second to pop up on my computer. Of course, I'm usually disconnected from the internet when I'm using word processing documents.

Hmm. Amend that: I'm currently at the university which is always connected. No browser window pops up there either.

By the way: If you click on the little drop-down arrow to the right of "office on-line" under search in your first picture, you will get a menu that includes "off-line help." The number of results will be fewer if you choose this option, but they are all help documents on the computer.

Roger: I'm not sure from your posts, but do you mean that after you rebooted that you once again get the error message you had to begin with?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 October 2006 - 06:12 AM.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users