Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: Buying new laptop for school/home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cwhitebn

cwhitebn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

Hi there, this is my first post on this forum. I'm looking to buy a new laptop for home and school use. Typically I spend a lot of time web browsing, using Microsoft Word and Adobe pdfs to write papers and research. Occasionally I'll spend time on YouTube but never more than a couple hours a week. my courses are all online so sometimes I need to video conference. I like to leave programs running so I sometimes have 5-8 chrome browsers/tabs open, 2 word programs open, some music playing and maybe 5-10 pdfs open. 

I'm upgrading cause the laptop I have now is about 7 years old, an HP...fan is always making noises, none of my USB ports work, battery doesn't last more than 10 minutes. I'd like something that can browse the web fast, I find my laptop now lags when trying to open Microsoft word..takes forever some days. Any advice would be good...I'm not into computers much so been reading about AMD vs Intel, 2 cores vs 4, etc. One laptop I have in mind is listed here at Best Buy... 

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-grey-amd-a12-9720p-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-amd-radeon-r7-windows-10-english/12371064.aspx?

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop

My budget for the new computer is: $400-$600 CAD

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Email, browsing, documents

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Microsoft Office, iTunes, Adobe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Now a days Acer, Asus, Toshiba and Dell lead the pack, all modern processors will amaze you.  8 or more gigs of ram is a must, a big plus is an SSD drive for speed and durability.  An SSD takes away the fear of the accidental that can knock a spinner for a loop. Your price goal is pretty easy to meet, the function and overall speed will thrill you for quite awhile. The choice between tower or LT to me is only a space/portability issue, I love my LT's but my tower is my favorite.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 23 March 2018 - 02:32 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users