Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual USB Recharging Faster?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

I have 2 camera batteries (1100mAh) that charge via USB to my PC. Is charging them both via the same USB cable any faster than doing them 1 at a time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

it would actually be slower doing them at the same time.   your device can only output a certain amount of current.  your batteries would split that current in half to charge both at the same time causing the charging time to be longer.

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

thanks.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

Actually it would be better to buy an AC adapter (the kind with a USB port) to charge each individually.  Those USB ports on PCs and laptops are not made for charging anything.  I know it is handy  but it has a limited current and is prone to overheating and failing.  Don't destroy the port for further use as it would require that the main board be replaced.  I advise all my clients to not use the USB ports to supply power for any device.

#5 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Actually it would be better to buy an AC adapter (the kind with a USB port) to charge each individually.  Those USB ports on PCs and laptops are not made for charging anything.  I know it is handy  but it has a limited current and is prone to overheating and failing.  Don't destroy the port for further use as it would require that the main board be replaced.  I advise all my clients to not use the USB ports to supply power for any device.

Out of curiosity, is it any faster using an AC adapter plugged into the wall than via the PC?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

is it any faster using an AC adapter plugged into the wall than via the PC?

Normally, yes. A USB2 port can supply 0.5A of current, a USB3 port 0.9A ( but a port designated as a downstream charging port can supply 1.5A). A mains charger will typically be able to supply more, for example I use one that can supply 7A total to 4 outlets, one with a maximum of 2.4 Amp output. Unless the battery only needs and draws 500mA on charge, the AC adapter will charge the battery or batteries faster.

Edited by Platypus, 23 March 2018 - 07:41 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users