Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD once desktop loaded after new PSU [DETAILED SYMPTOMS]

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gamma8768

gamma8768

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Hi everyone: first of all, thanks for reading this. In my family, I'm generally regarded as the one who's able to solve computer problems, but now, I'm afraid I need to use BleepingComputer's help!

So here's what's happening: my aunt owns an "old" 2010 Dell Studio XPS 9100 gaming PC (Intel Core i7 930 @2.8GHZ GPU, ATI Radeon HD 5870 GPU, 12GB Ram DDR3 @1333 + 1TB Seagate HDD, Windows 7). However, as mentioned in the title, she gets a BSOD saying "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" once the desktop has loaded (you can click on icons and stuff for 5-20 seconds before it appears). Moreover, the problem only happens when the computer hasn't been started for +/- 12 hours. Once started, you can open/shut it down for as many times as you want without the BSOD appearing, until you leave it alone for the night. Here are some additional and IMPORTANT DETAILS:

1. The problem is occuring since I changed the old defective power supply for a new one (Thermalake 600W), brand new and functioning properly on my own desktop PC (tested);
  2. The old PSU was defective: everytime I wanted to start the PC, I had to start/close the computer thrice before the screen would light up (defective PSU symptom): sometimes, a BSOD would appear also with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION but right after the BIOS and preventing Windows from loading (I could not get to the desktop);
  3. Ever since I changed the PSU, the computer starts every time;
  4. Ever since she bought the PC in 2010, she had green dots on her screen: however, this was easily fixed by upping the GPU's clock frequencies with Catalyst Control Center (the ATI 5870 is known for its green dots problem since it tends to underclock itself while on idle). Thought I should mention;
  5. The motherboard was changed 4 months ago with no problem following;
  6. All drivers were fully updated with Driver Booster a week ago;
  7. Ran CCleaner for corrupted registry entries and unwanted files;
  8. Ran CHKDSK C: /r ;
  9. Ran CHKDSK /f ;
  10. Ran sfc /scannow ;
  11. All 12 gigabytes of ram are working/showing up and seem to be uncorrupted (did not ran a formal diagnostic tool though);
  12. Antivirus is Avast Free Antivirus 2018;
  13. Tried reseating GPU several times.

Any ideas that could prevent the BSOD from appearing every time the computer hasn't been started for a while (+/- 12 hours)?

Thanks in advance! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:32 AM

Please follow these BSOD forum posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 gamma8768

gamma8768
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, my bad!

The problem still happens everyday, but once a day only. Here is the link for the Speccy part: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kyxaQL5GkFlVFfqlilIScXX

As for the Sysnative dump file, I had to zip it myself since the installer would get stucked at -waiting for systeminfo.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Attached Files

Edited by gamma8768, 15 April 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

Can you uninstall Avast and run their uninstall utility? It was blamed in one of the dumps. Windows Defender should automatically kick in.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 gamma8768

gamma8768
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

Hey bwv (almost called you bmw),

First of all, after looking at all the work you do here at BleepingComputer, I just wanted to thank you for your precious contribution to the forums (including this post).

As suggested, I uninstalled Avast but the problem is still occuring a day later. Desktop is booting up and 20-30 seconds afterwards, blue screen with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

Any other leads?

Thanks!

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

Can you send me the latest dumps? Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy/paste the latest dump files to your desktop. Zip them up (actually use. ZIP!) and attach them in your next reply.

#7 gamma8768

gamma8768
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

Alrighty.

Sorry for the waiting, it's my aunt's computer.

I chose to upload both the latest dumps and the latest sysnativecollectionapp folder I collected.

Thank you very much!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users