Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 3020 - Graphics Card Upgrade Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LJolliffe

LJolliffe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

Asked on the Dell forums but no one seems to care.

Okay, so I had an old Optiplex 3020 sat around in the office and I wanted to use it in our meeting room for a very graphic intensive, live presentation rendering from a BIM application.

Now, the BIM application and graphic presentation software work fine, accept the presentation software runs at about 5fps, given that it is running off a GTX 610, this come as no surprise.

So this is what I did: I bought a GTX 770, a new 550w power supply and a proprietary power cable that allows me to convert the 24 pin connector for the mobo power to an 8 pin proprietary mobo power connector, which i'd never seen before (¬¬ Thanks Dell). I drilled out the rivets to remove the HDD cage to fit the card in (I forgot to measure it before I bought the card, whoops). All plugged in, all switched on and...The video card does not output anything.

Now, the system boots in Windows fine because I can hear the Windows startup sound from the speaker on the mobo, the fans on the GPU spin fine, all lights lights up on the card, all power connections from the PSU to the card are connected and still nothing. The system doesn't even detect that it's even there

Okay so maybe the card is broken; it is second hand after all, but no, the GTX 770 has been tested in other machines now and works fine.

Updated all drivers and the bios and still nothing.

GTX 610 has gone back in and everything works fine.

So to Summarise:

- New Graphics Card,

- New PSU for the Graphics Card,

- New Cable to Convert standard Mobo power Connector to Dell's Proprietary One,

- Updated all drivers and Bios.

- GTX is confirmed as working in other PC's

Am I missing something that is specific to this Dell machine that i'm not aware of? All I can think is the PCIe slot can't supply enough power to the card, because of Dell's design, but then again, surely it would need to considering the direct power line from the PSU.

...and now i'm out of ideas. 

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

I expect you don't have UEFI BIOS on motherboard and so PCI Express 3.0 cards without special BIOS won't work.

#3 LJolliffe

LJolliffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Okay, special bios good to know.

Is this something that can be achieved reasonably or are we talking a "not worth it" kind of job?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

According to the manual you do have UEFI. This is a fairly modern computer.

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/optiplex-3020-desktop/opt3020sffom-v1/system-setup-options?guid=guid-97fb9f99-ec04-4f53-b195-ee93d749b503&lang=en-us

Hate to ask the obvious but the GPU looks to have a 8pin and 6pin power connector. Those are connected to the PSU, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 March 2018 - 09:24 AM.

#5 LJolliffe

LJolliffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

They are, I know, I did need to double check myself, but the card was tested with the same PSU in another PC.

It's also worth mentioning that the VGA connection works fine, so with the New PSU and GPU inside the output to VGA works.

I have checked the bios is set to use other GPU's when available rather than the on board, then again the GTX 610 works fine still.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

VGA works fine. Does the monitor have a HDMI port you can use? Have you tried swapping monitors from the computer where the card did work? Or, if you have a TV connect an HDMI cable from the card to it.

#7 LJolliffe

LJolliffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

The TV i'm using has VGA and HDMI, the VGA from the mobo to the TV works fine, the HDMI from the card the TV does not.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

The only thing I can suggest is try a different HDMI cable unless you know the one you have is good. Also have you used a DVI-D cable to a monitor?

#9 LJolliffe

LJolliffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

HDMI cable works fine with the GTX 610, DVI also works fine from the 610 neither work from the 770.

Thanks for your input though. Do you think it could be a power thing from the mobo through the PCIe slot? The board does have a weird 8pin power connection rather than the usual 24...?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

I think this may related to the 24 pin to 8 pin adapter but I can't be sure. Your MB GPU slot is PCIe 2.0. The card is PCIe 3.0 but because VGA works I would have to think that is not the problem. PCIe 3.0 is backward compatible with PCIe 2.0. I just don't know. You may get better answers on the Nvidia Forums. 

There was a 4 page thread over at dell for the 9020.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Upgrading-GPU-and-PSU-for-Optiplex-9020-baffled-by-8-pin/td-p/4434910

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

PCI Express is backwards compatible but PCI Express 3.0 cards require UEFI BIOS, so that backwards compatibility does not help there. I have tried PCI Express 3.0 card on 2.0 motherboard without UEFI BIOS and no boot.

But since VGA works but HDMI and DVI not, problem is elsewhere. And reason for that may be very strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users