Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resource intensive msmpeng

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:05 AM

So I noticed my computer slowing down and checked my task manager which showed Antimalware Service Executable running at an average 30% cpu constantly. The task manager did not let me end the process. I went to details and found the program was MsMpEng.exe and i still could not end the process or change affinity or priority. I tried disabling windows defender but that did nothing. Then I went online to find a solution and was instructed to use the Group Policy Editor to make changes, but Windows Defender was not listed as a policy. Then I tried using the registry editor to disable windows defender. After restarting my computer Windows Defender is now disabled but the MsMpEng.exe process is still running and hogging resources. How do I stop it for good?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:07 AM

This might help;

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/what-is-msmpeng-exe/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:15 AM

That is not helpful at all, I now what the program is. The problem is that it is hogging resources and running when I don't want it to. I need help disabling it and stopping it from running.

Edited by Skootchtheclock, 23 March 2018 - 06:16 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

Unless you are running Windows 10 Pro or any other enterprise variant, such as Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education you can not disable Windows Defender.

If you are running another antivirus Windows Defender should disable itself, this is a default action performed when another antivirus is installed.

The culprit for this high CPU usage is the Antimalware Service Executable, (there is no relation between this and Malwarebytes Antimalware).  The main problem here is the process called Antimalware Service Executable and its corresponding file msmpeng.exe., this is part of Windows Defender.  There is a very good explanation and several suggested means of resolving this problem which you can find at Emsisoft's website.  This should help you to understand why this is occurring and how to resolve it.

If this does not resolve this issue malware could be responsible.  If this is the case you will need to run security scans to find and remove the malware.  If this is the case your topic will need to be moved to the Am I Infected, What Do I Do forum.  These scans may not be run in the Windows forums.  If this is the case I will request that this topic be moved and provide you with instructions to run these scans.

Just for clarification purposes please do the following.

Please download Security Check by Screen317.

Double click on the download and choose to run the program.

A screen similar to the one below will open, click any key to run the program.

rJI98Ee.png

When the scan is finished there will be a log, copy and then paste the log in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

Here's the log.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.014 --- 12/23/15  
   x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Windows Defender   
Malwarebytes       
  (On Access scanning disabled!)
 Error obtaining update status for antivirus!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Java version 32-bit out of Date!
 Adobe Flash Player     29.0.0.113  
 Google Chrome (65.0.3325.181)
 Google Chrome (SetupMetrics...)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe  
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamtray.exe  
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware MBAMWsc.exe  
 Windows Defender MSASCuiL.exe   
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  %