Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firefox users, what add ons u have and why, what u recommend?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:05 AM

i have video download helper for youtube

and u block origin

simple to use and easy to turn off when not needed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:21 AM

image.png

I recommend them all.......(thats why I use them, because they are worthy of recommendation)

AdNauseam is the latest to be added.....my system monitor shows moderate usage in firefox....so It appears to ok (I have 16Gb of ram)image.png

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#3 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:03 AM

Internet Download Manager (I use it, but whether I suggest it; it is up to you!!)

Ublock Origin ( Overly Suggested)

Kaspersky Extension (It exists)

Momentum (Try it if you want, Give it a try case)

Grammarly (For the grammar Nazi in me)

Adobe Acrobat (it exists)

Grease Monkey ( Know your things before doing anything with this, suggested but strongly advised against if you are  a noob)

HTTPS Everywhere ( Suggested)

LastPass (it exists)

Edited by Hareen, 24 March 2018 - 01:05 AM.

#4 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:34 AM

Two necessary addons for me:

All-In-One Sidebar (simple use) and Print Friendly & PDF (to save the webpages as pdf).

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

Personally I swear by NoScript, it gives a really good security advantage but it is a bit weird when you first start using it. With NoScript only the most basic types of content load unless you explicitly give permission for scripts and other "interactive" stuff, so when you want to play a video or something you have to temporarily enable quite a lot of things. You might not want to end up using it but I strongly advise you to try it, the frequency with which I was having browser problems, virus problems and virus false alarms dropped off to almost zero when I started using NoScript.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

I don't employ any add-ons.

Louis

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

I don't employ any add-ons.

Louis

• Adobe Flash Player (although usually is not needed)
  • LastPass
  • Paste Email Plus (used occasionally and only been using & trying recently)
  • Adblock Plus
  • Web Of Trust

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:58 PM

@ cafejose, I dont understand why you quoted Luis's post

What is  "paste email plus"   ...??

Edit to Add : A search in firefox add ons produced no result for that extension....although I did find it in a google search....

Then I found it on a mozilla page....Firefox v57 notice:

'Paste Email Plus' is considered a 'legacy' extension and will no longer work with Firefox v57 and above. This extension has been re-written using the WebExtensions platform, but is currently only available for Chrome. A Firefox version may be available in the future.

EDit again : from this page :: http://sea.pcmag.com/security/12596/news/web-of-trust-browser-extension-cannot-be-trusted

The NDR investigation discovered that while you have the WOT extension installed, extensive data collection is going on in the background.However, WOT not only collects and records data on a per-user basis, it then analyses and sells it on to third parties.

The WOT Privacy Policy states that your IP, geographic location, device type, operating system, browser, the date and time, Web addresses, and overall browser usage are all collected, but that it is "non-identifiable." But NDR found that it was a simple task to link the anonymised data to individual users of the service. The data retrieved included:

• Account name
  • Mail address
  • Travel plans
  • Illnesses
  • Sexual preference
  • Drug consumption
  • Confidential company information
  • Ongoing police investigations
  • Browser surfing activity including all sites visited

You may want to avoid that one !!

Edited by Condobloke, 24 March 2018 - 09:07 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#9 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:05 PM

Condobloke,

Maybe I should stop using WOT extension.  I almost never am signed on/in logged in/on anything when i conduct an internet search.  Not sure how that affects what WOT collects.  The only alternative I know about currently is to use the norton safe search web search page, which will show the Norton site ratings icons.  

I use Firefox 52.something ESR ON WINDOWS VISTA.  The current version 57 or 59 "quantum"  is not for Windows Vista.  The extension Paste Email Plus IS available for Firefox (version 52, ESR) and also for Pale Moon (27.8).   Basically it is a program or extension that lets you create text passages that you can paste into whatever field your browser is showing on a web page.  You can use it to store and paste email address, something like a signature for an email, and other things.  I have only been using it to keep and paste  computer system information.  I could paste that into a post on this forum if I wanted - but not right now because it is not on a browser on THIS computer.  I have it on MY computer, the old one.  Note that I initially had trouble making Paste Email Plus work so I searched on google for possible help, and also installed the extension ONTO FIREFOX and tried to learn to use the extension on Firefox before again trying to use it in Pale Moon browser.  

In some way, not entirely, WiseStamp is another extension which does some of what Paste Email Plus does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users