Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Further Antipiracy Measures For Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

Microsoft will introduce a system for fighting software piracy with its upcoming Windows Vista and Windows Longhorn Server operating systems, the company said today.

Called the Microsoft Software Protection Platform, it's a collection of technologies that aims to do better at detecting pirated versions of Windows, and will also force unauthorised versions of its software into a limited-functionality mode, encouraging users to obtain a legal copy...

pcadvisor.co
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

Update:

...Starting with Windows Vista and Windows Server Longhorn, which is expected to be released next year, companies will have to choose one of two options under the SPP program.

The first, primarily for smaller customers, is to be validated via the internet by receiving a Multiple Activation Key from a Microsoft server during installation.

The second option, geared toward larger companies, is to install a Microsoft-developed Key Management Service on an internal server to validate PCs during the installation process and every 180 days thereafter. The KMS application will also encrypt the licence keys and hide them on the server, according to Microsoft...

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7300
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jfish

jfish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:46 AM

We crack microsofts software, what makes them think that using their protection will help at all? Doing something such as this will only ensure that all companies that take part in the program will have the same process to be cracked. Do it once and it's done. Does this really seem like a good idea? Even if it weren't that simple all software, by nature will always have the ability to and will be cracked.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:17 AM

First, a bit of background. A long while ago I was poor and couldn't afford stuff for my computer - so I did what was necessary to be able to use my computer. Now I'm in a better position financially, so I take a different position on this. "Situational morality"

You asked:

We crack microsofts software, what makes them think that using their protection will help at all?

The answer is that "we" don't crack the software. Generally "we" use tools that others have developed to crack the software. This is an important distinction as the protection gets more complicated.

The more complicated a crack is - the less likely the average person will use it. So, eventually, either the crack will get too complicated to use - or it will be so easy to use that it'll be trackable (and defeatable) just because of it's popularity.

No software solution is perfect - neither security nor cracking. So there's ways around both. The "crackers" generally aren't officially supported and have limited resources to draw on, while the companies have a lot of resources to draw on. Most likely it will be those with the most resources that will win this fight.

Finally, the protection isn't designed to prevent all cracking. Otherwise, how would anyone be able to "backdoor" a problem when normal solutions didn't work? The protection serves a similar function to the lock on your front door. It will stop the casual user from breaking in, but isn't really inteneded to do anything about a determined foe.

It's just a sound business decision. If their protection stops (for example) 90% of the cracks - then it's a success (based on the resources that they've put into it). That last 10% will be much harder to stop than the first 90% - so that will take even more resources. And they've gotta draw the line somewhere - and in the business world it's simply a decision about profitability. If it costs too much to stop that 10% - then it's cheaper to let them do it than it is to fight them.

Edited by usasma, 12 October 2006 - 07:19 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jfish

jfish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:04 AM

Damn good point. And extremely well put together and readable with the great depth.

/agree

#6 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:33 AM

Its all about buissness nothing else.

simply agreed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users