Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparing Automatic Repair/Diagnosing your PC loop

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

My girlfriend's computer is currently not booting up to windows. She has an ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop running Windows 10. Every time it boots, it reads "preparing automatic repair" then "diagnosing your PC" then it goes to the blue screen reading "Automatic Repair  -  Your PC did not start correctly."  I have the option to click "Restart" or "Advanced options".

I have searched the internet and have tried many things but nothing seems to work. I tried "advanced options" then "troubleshoot" then "advanced options". On that screen I choose "system restore" but there's only one restore point and then it says "system restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not charged." The unspecified error (0x80070091)

I tried "troubleshoot" then "advanced options" then "startup repair" and it didn't work. A blue Startup Repair page reads "startup repair couldn't' repair your PC" Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

I tried "troubleshoot" then "advanced options" then "command prompt".  It reads "X:\windows\system32>" with a blinking cursor after the >.  I entered bootrec /scanos (X:\windows\system32>bootrec /scanos) and it said "Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total Identified Windows installations: 0. The operation completed successfully." I then tried bootrec /rebuildbcd and it said "Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total Identified Windows installations: 0. The operation completed successfully." Then I trieds bootrec /fixmbr then it said "the operation completed successfully". Last I tried bootrec /fixboot then  it said "the operation completed successfully".  I restarted the computer and nothing changed. I also tried "sfc/scannow" and it said "varification 100% complete. Windows protection could not perform the requested operation."

I've read stuff about using a "bootable disk", but I'm honestly not sure what that is. I've tried a few other things but I'm really not sure if I'm following everything correctly, and nothing has worked. I tried downloading the Windows 10 "Media Creation Tool". I downloaded it to my computer and then ran the program. I saved the Windows.iso to a DVD and inserted the DVD into the broken computer. With the DVD inserted, it still says " preparing automatic repair" then a blue screen asking "Choose your keyboard option" I always select "US" because I'm in the United States. Next it says "Choose an option" and I select "troubleshoot". Nothing that I've tried seems to work.

If anyone has some steps on things I can try, that would be helpful. There are some important programs (PhotoShop, Word, Celtx, etc) that I really would like not to lose. I appreciate any help, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Try advanced options, command prompt

type in chkdsk /f

press enter

#3 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

The line reads "X:\windows\system32>chkdsk /f"    It says "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

#4 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:23 PM

Try chkdsk C: /f

#5 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:36 AM

"X:\windows\system32>chkdsk C: /f"   

This is what appeared after pressing enter: 

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is OS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure...

725760 file records processed.

File Verification completed.

32067 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage...

870232 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.
  0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors...
CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  72237 Data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  41250520 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

390703103 KB total disk space
379685984 KB in 511434 files
   320184 KB in 72240 indexes.
            0 KB in bad sectors.
   853051 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file
  9843884 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 97675775 total allocation units on disk.
   2460971 allocation units available on disk.
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

#6 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:45 AM

If the computer still won't boot into Windows, again use the command sfc/ scannow

It might now complete without telling you: Windows protection could not perform the requested operation.

#7 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

If necessary use the method shown here https://www.wintips.org/how-to-run-sfc-offline-system-file-checker-too/

How to boot from a CD (you might need to google for the particular laptop) https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53988-How-to-boot-from-CD-on-Asus-G751

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008277/

#8 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:21 AM

"X:\windows\system32>sfc/ scannow" 

This is what appeared after pressing enter: 

Microsoft ® Windows ® Resource checker version 6.0

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All Rights reserved.

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with

correct Microsoft Versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW]  [/VERIFYONLY]  [/SCANFILE=<file>]  [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]

[/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offlinebootdirectory>]

/SCANNOW           Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with

problems when possible.

/VERIFYONLY       Scans integrity of all protected system files.  No repair operation is

performed.

/SCANFILE            Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems are

identified. Specify full path <file>

/VERIFYFILE        Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>.  No repair

operation is performed.

/OFFBOOTDIR      For offline repair, specify the location of the offline boot directory

/OFFWINDIR         For offline repair, specify the location of the offline windows directory

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW

sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kerne132.dll

sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kerne132.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows

sfc /VERIFYONLY

#9 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:23 AM

I assume I should run: "X:\windows\system32>sfc/scannow" without the space before "scannow"

I ran that and and it says, "Windows Resource protection could not perform the requested operation."

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:36 AM

In the meantime....

1. Do you have installation discs for the programs you mentioned...photoshop etc etc   ?....Do you have installation media for the pc ?

2. Do you have a full image backup on an external drive  ?

The reason for the two questions is.....a reset would be the ideal way to go.......BUT....

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Note

If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key  +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select Power  > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.

If you can't get to the sign-in screen, use a recovery drive or installation media to reset your PC.

Option What it does Keep my files

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
  • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
  • Removes changes you made to settings.
  • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

SO......Yes, your programs would be ditched in this scenario

Edited by Condobloke, 23 March 2018 - 01:37 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:58 AM

I would really like to not lose these programs because I don't have any installation disks. I don't believe I have installation media for the PC. I don't think I know what a full image backup on an external drive is. 

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:07 AM

The best people to look at this is either JohnC_21 or britechguy (moderator)

if you have no luck here now.......I am quite sure they will spot the topic when they come online later in the day. It is 3.03 am where you are.  Similar time for them.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:12 AM

Image-based backup is a backup process for a computer that creates a copy of the operating system (OS) and all the data associated with it, including the system state and application configurations. The backup is saved as a single file that is called an image.

Usually a external HD is attached via usb (it must have sufficient room to take the entire backup)....and there are a number of programs which are free that will do the image/backup eg Macrium Reflect

Easy to do....and even easier to restore in the case of something like you are experiencing right now

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

Thanks! Is there a way I can send this to them? Or will they hopefully see it later? Thanks

The best people to look at this is either JohnC_21 or britechguy (moderator)

if you have no luck here now.......I am quite sure they will spot the topic when they come online later in the day. It is 3.03 am where you are.  Similar time for them.

#15 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

I have a DVD with Windows.iso consisting of Folders: "boot" "efi" "sources" "support" then "autorun.inf" "bootmgr" "bootmgr.efi" and "setup.exe"

I inserted the DVD into the broken computer and then turned it off. When turning it back on, i pressed esc button to bring up a menu. The menu displays:

Please select boot device:

-Windows Boot Manager (P4: Toshiba MQ01ABD100)

-Enter Setup

What should I do from here?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users