Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware protection setup?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Axient

Axient

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

What would be a good free anti-malware setup. I know you can not stop everything, but what programs would you guys recommend? Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

It would be a good idea to say which operating system you use.

#3 Axient

Axient
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

Yes, I apologize about that. I am running wndows 8.1

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

Hi, Axient and Welcome to BC! :welcome:

There are SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol, Unchecky, and CryptoPrevent, of which all are free.

And, depending on your web browser, in addition, there are uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdFender, Ghostery and HTTPS Everywhere, all of these are free.

If you have not as of yet, and until quietman7 comes along, please read his relevant article, here: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 25 March 2018 - 09:22 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 Axient

Axient
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

Thank you

Edited by Axient, 24 March 2018 - 01:14 PM.

#6 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

I use Malwarebytes Pro, Avast free, and Bitdefender Firewall (free). 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

You may want to take a look at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/668588/share-your-security-configuration/ , where various members have shared their system setup strategies designed to minimize the threat of malware.

Louis

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:32 AM

Hi again, Axient!

I have updated my previous post, so please re-read it for yet another program tip.

And you are welcome! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware infection is a comprehensive approach to include prevention and routinely backing up your data. Security is all about layers and not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense.

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

For more suggestions to protect yourself from malware, see my comments (Post #2) in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users