Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help removing my Microsoft Account from a Computer I've sold

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

I have a HP Laptop that had Windows 8 on it which I upgraded to Windows 8.1.  All went well with the upgrade.

As I had the laptop set up with my Microsoft Account, I wish to eliminate it from the laptop.  I have set the laptop up with a

local account but am not able to delete my Microsoft Account.  I am wondering if someone could tell me what to do.  I need to

get my Microsoft Account off of the machine.

Thanks for telling me what to do.  I really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

I believe if you go into 'Settings - User accounts' you will find the ability to create a new user account. You then make this an 'Administrator' account and set it up with a local account, ie give it a password. Then delete the original Admin account.

I have done this in 8.1 and it worked, so it should work in 10. Make the password something simple, short and easy to memorise then you can pass it on and the new user can either keep it like that or create his/her own Admin account with whatever sort of log-in they wish.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

You do not have to create a new account. Under Settings > Accounts - Select Sign in with local account instead. 

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

Before selling it you'll probably want to make some windows reinstall media, backup your files to a external media, wipe the whole disk completely and maybe do a few overwrites, then make a fresh install of windows so the buyer will be able to start from a fresh system.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users