Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent BSOD (2 to 3 a month) despite clean Windows install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LeoBloom

LeoBloom

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

I previously posted here with the same hardware and was ultimately told to do a clean install of Windows

Now, a few weeks/months after a clean install, I am still having BSOD (but with different reasons)

Some other issues I have (which may or may not be related) that I am including in case they are somehow applicable

• Windows Explorer frequently doesn't refresh e.g., if I save something to the desktop, I will need to press F5 for the Desktop to refresh and show the file
  • My webcam produces an error a few times a month (seemingly temporally unrelated to BSOD). The system will say it cannot find the webcam and device manager lists "Code 43" under the hardware
  • Windows minimize and maximize animations are shut off automatically (I think by Citrix Receiver)

Another big problem I have is that the minidump files disappear a few days after the BSOD occured -- how do I stop this from happening?

What can I do - I have no idea how to localize the problem and this is with a fresh install. The very last BSOD occured when I attempted to close all Chrome tabs at once but these BSOD occur without a pattern

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lyKbK0oFtTUVd6k3PDvYhYR

I have also run memtest over 24 hr -- 22 passes with no errors: https://imgur.com/a/OAMEg

Link to old topic: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/673883/frequent-bsod-2-to-3-a-month-despite-clean-windows-install/

Attached Files

Edited by LeoBloom, 22 March 2018 - 05:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the late response — we've been inundated with logs and it's hard to keep track of them. If you still need help, can you run the Sysnative App again for fresh log files?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 LeoBloom

LeoBloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

Hi - no worries -- I actually have reformatted and reinstalled Windows again recently and has been OK since but will post again if problems occur

Thanks

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:15 AM

Note that CCleaner cleans dump files by default when you clean, you would have to untick Memory Dumps under Windows tab..System list to keep them.

#5 LeoBloom

LeoBloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

So I had another BSOD within the last couple of weeks -- the first BSOD on a new (3rd) installation.

To reiterate, I have been having random BSOD two to three times a month (prior to recent installation) and have no idea what has been causing them. I have already reinstalled windows 10 OS two times over the last 6 months or so and am still coming up with the same issues. I do not have all the dump files from the previous installations, but a lot of them were "irql driver_not_less_or_equal" and almost all of them were caused by "ntoskrnl.exe" when the dumps were examined by BlueScreenView. I can't point to a specific triggering element, but I would say that at least more than once I had a BSOD when I woke the computer up and logged in, and when I was closing tabs on Chrome.

The minidump link below was from a BSOD within these two weeks (first BSOD since the 2nd re-installation of windows 10) in addition to 4 other dumps from a previous installation (to see if any patterns). It also has the SysnativeFileCollection zip file:

See Speccy link below for specs:

Prior to recently upgrading my rig to 16 GB, I ran MemTest on the 8 GB where all but one of the BSODs took place - no errors

Please let me know what else I can do

Edited by LeoBloom, 25 April 2018 - 06:16 PM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

The bugchecks appear to be very random (though most of them are from previous installations). (And for some reason WinDBG is hanging). I am quite certain, however, that hardware is the problem (probably RAM).

First, can you start running MemTest86 (eight passe) stick by stick alternating the slots? Second, can you run Prime95 (blend test)? Have you checked your RAM voltages?

Edited by bwv848, 26 April 2018 - 12:07 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 LeoBloom

LeoBloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:15 PM

OK I will try MemTest86 w/ 8 passes per stick by stick. Is it OK if I do stick 1 in slot 1, then stick 2 in slot 2, etc? I have not checked voltages (but I did not modify them) - what would I be looking for?

Will do Prime95 blend test if no failures on MemTest86

#8 LeoBloom

LeoBloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

I have run 8 passes on each stick in different slots (e.g., stick 1 alone in slot 1, then stick 2 alone in slot 2) -- no errors at all

Can I run Prime95 with all the sticks back on the MoBo?

EDIT: Prime95 has my CPU temps going very high (stock cooler), and I believe it is because it is a Haswell CPU - there are some topics on the web stating that this is a problem with later version of Prime95 and that I should use Intel Burn Test or Aida64 to stress test the CPU.

Is that an acceptable alternative?

Thanks

Edited by LeoBloom, 28 April 2018 - 11:13 PM.

#9 LeoBloom

LeoBloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

Just got another BSOD -- added to the dropbox shared link

"system_thread_exception_not_handled"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users