Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

APC or Cyberpower for a UPS? What do you prefer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Loonmario

Loonmario

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

I have 4 APC battery backups (all the same) and one just died after a power outage.  Fortunately APC is replacing it and paying all the shipping.  I generally don't use APC Powerchute, I just configure the unit via the LCD screen.  On one computer however I installed the latest version of Powerchute and it shut down my pc immediately after installing.  I would boot up again and once I reach the desktop and pc shuts down again by itself.  Maybe it's windows 10, i don't know.  The UPS should have plenty of battery power for my system.

Anyone tried Cyberpower UPS software?  Is it any good?

my specs:

APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500 (120V)

ASrock AB350 Pro motherboard

AMD RYZEN 5 1400 4-Core 3.2 GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1400BBAEBOX Desktop Processor

G.SKILL FORTIS Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) AMD X370 / B350 / A320 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-2400C15D-16GFT

550 watt Gold Corsair PSU

Radeon 560RX video card

BD-Rom

Micron SSD 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

a battery backup serves the same function.   to me it wouldn't make a difference on brand.  now size(wattage) is what i'm looking at.  bigger is better(more time before it powers off when power goes out).

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

When an APC battery backup needs new batteries, it is cheaper just to replace it and many of their models cut a lot of corners.

What model of Cyberpower are you considering?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

This one is what I'm looking at.  It's comparable to the APC units I have now.

CyberPower Intelligent LCD CP1500AVRLCD

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981755-REG/cyberpower_cp1500avrlcd_1500va_cp_avr_lcd.html

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

When an APC battery backup needs new batteries, it is cheaper just to replace it and many of their models cut a lot of corners.

I disagree with this statement as I have just replaced 2 batteries in my APC RS 1500 and cost was around $30.00 cash.

No way you can buy any decent battery back up for $30.00 cash.\

I have to admit that buying batteries from a local store would have cost twice as much as online.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

One thing to remember with these units, regardless of the manufacturer, they are just like surge suppressors, once  "struck"  by an event, they should be replaced.  Drop outs, brown outs excepted but in the event of lightning or serious overvoltage, they have been compromised.

Edited by mjd420nova, 25 March 2018 - 01:52 PM.

#7 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

Well I got the replacement APC unit and of course it had a cracked battery door and cracked plastic inside with what sounds like plastic pieces rattling around inside the housing.  I emailed the contact person at APC about it but probably won't get a response until Monday.  Sorry, just frustrated.  

I think my next UPS will be a Cyberpower, just out of curiosity I want to see how well built they are and also if the software is reliable.

One thing to remember with these units, regardless of the manufacturer, they are just like surge suppressors, on "struck"  by an event, they should be replaced.  Drop outs, brown outs excepted but in the event of lightning or serious overvoltage, they have been compromised.

That's something I didn't think about.  Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Loonmario, 24 March 2018 - 08:45 PM.

#8 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:32 AM

Loonmario:

I have been using APC UPS Backup Power Supply units for years.  I have found them to be reliable and, as pointed out by The-Toolman, if you purchase replacement batteries online, the cost is reasonable.  I currently have an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 for my main computer.

You asked for opinions.  I vote for APC.

The important thing, regardless of make, is to protect sensitive devices from power surges.  I have dealt with too many folks in the small community where I live, who lost hard drives and motherboards to power surges here.  Our electrical supply is not all that stable in rural Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada, particularly when winter storms hit us.  I also have my stereo components and televisions connected to small APC battery backup units.  I think that there are five APC units in the house.  I have never had any problems with them.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:11 AM

Both the APC and the Cyberpower have very similar specs so the decision is which company you prefer.  BTW (By The Way), if you think that a surge protector or UPS has experienced a severe surge (i.e. lightning nearby), it needs to be replaced as the surge protection devices will blow just like a fuse.

I would also add that most would not fell comfortable replacing the batteries in their UPS so replacing batteries would be far more expensive than $30 which, BTW, was not for top quality batteries.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#10 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

I would also add that most would not fell comfortable replacing the batteries in their UPS

With my APC USP units, you just unplug it and whatever is plugged into it, open the hatch, slide out the battery pack, disconnect the power cables, and reverse the process to install new ones.  Takes less than five minutes.  CAVEAT: The replacement batteries will need to be charged when installed for up to 24 hours, with NO load; or, the unit will drive you nuts, unless you disable the alarm, reporting low power.

so replacing batteries would be far more expensive than $30 which, BTW, was not for top quality batteries.

I agree that you can't purchase genuine APC replacement batteries, which are rated to last five years (I have had them last longer) for $30.00.  Here is the link to the genuine APC UPS replacement battery for my APC UPS Backup Pro 1500G.  The price is $69.99 US.

The price of a new APC UPS Backup Pro 1500G is $239.99 US.

My conclusion: It is far more economical, and more environmentally friendly, to replace the batteries when they expire. :)

Just my opinion.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Here's my best advice to all concerned.

If you are uncomfortable with replacing batteries than buy a brand new Battery Backup / UPC.

I have replaced three sets of batteries in three separate APC RS 1500 battery backups and have no complaints.

The final decision is up to you the owner to choose the route best for you.

Do your homework and choose wisely and you will have excellent results as garioch7 and I.

Edited by The-Toolman, 25 March 2018 - 02:47 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users