Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

was not sure if this should go here or in windows

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 valocks

valocks

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

Hello all.   I was hoping to find some help with a issue i have. I have a live image file i wish to install onto an internal HDD. I want to be able to swap the HDD between two computers. (thats why im trying to use the live version of the image file) So essencially i want to turn the external into a live USB stick (but without the usb adapert to make the hard drive "external") I have tried several image tools, but none of them see The internal HDD. I have also tried extracting the image directly onto the HDD. I had also tried directly extracting the Image and going into disk management and making the partition active. None of these have worked and makes me think this may not be possible. Any help or input would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys 

this is the second time posting this, i had it in windows because i need to use windows to creat the live distro on the HDD but i was told it may be better here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/673876/so-i-was-not-sure-where-to-put-this/

A better thread title might get you better responses.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 valocks

valocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

what ya mean?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

This may be of interest to you;

http://linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/23/install-ubuntu-11-04-on-external-hard-disk/

I just Googled your question and I got a bunch of hits.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

what ya mean?

A thread's title should directly relate to the question or issue that you are trying to resolve. Just sayin'.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 valocks

valocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

ok good point, but alsow i should be a bit more clear, i want to install a linux live distro onto an internal HD connected to my pc, the hard drive i am doing it from is the other hard drive connected to a the pc with windows, that link is how to install to an external and is done from linux. Thanks for googling it though i do appreciate the help

#7 valocks

valocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

also a reply to this "Why do you have to use Windows? I install Linux all the time and I have NEVER used Windows to install any distro of Linux." because i already have windows installed, do not have a USB or a CD drive available ATM

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

You will need to buy a USB stick. If you live in Europe or Asia or America they are very cheap and you can buy them anywhere, gas stations or vending machines or grocery stores. Once you get a USB stick we can walk you through the exact procedure.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 valocks

valocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

basicly i wish to know if there is a way to get windows to see a internal hard drive the same way it sees a usb. I know they are cheap, but i just want to know if this is possible

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

basicly i wish to know if there is a way to get windows to see a internal hard drive the same way it sees a usb. I know they are cheap, but i just want to know if this is possible

This question sounds to me like you want to use Windows to perform some particular task which I can not seem to understand. You might be better off asking a Windows related question in the Windows section.

I am not really sure what you are asking but if this relates to Windows then someone in the Windows section can help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

To directly answer this question in as vague a way that you asked it (because I do not understand your question) the answer is yes, everybody does it all the time.

I hope that helps.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

ok good point, but alsow i should be a bit more clear, i want to install a linux live distro onto an internal HD connected to my pc, the hard drive i am doing it from is the other hard drive connected to a the pc with windows, that link is how to install to an external and is done from linux. Thanks for googling it though i do appreciate the help

Your original post said an external hard drive, that is what I used as my search criteria. Since you changed that to internal hard drive then obviously the answer will be different.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

I showed your question to a few friends and although we are not quite sure what you are asking we think that you may asking about VirtualBox.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 valocks

valocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

maybe this will help. I have a windows pc, with a second blank internal hard drive (lets name the second blank internal hard drive X). I wish to install a portable version of linux on drive X. I do not have a cd drive or a USB stick. I want to make drive X a bootable drive i can put inside any PC and run like you would a portable usb of linux. the virtual desktop link is very very helpful but not what i am looking for.

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

To create that "live" portable version of Linux you will need a USB stick in order to install Linux on that drive. Also, you will need to download Rufus to create a bootable USB stick.

There are ways to do what you asked but you have to be careful to avoid driver issues when you change this drive from one computer to another.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users