Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck With Norton Antispywear From Bt

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 suehall

suehall

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Hi everyone,

I am getting desperate, on the 25th Sept I downloaded BT Yahoo's new Beta mail. With it came Nortons Anti spy wear, It has slowed my computer down to snails pace and I can't get rid of it. It is not in Windows Add & remove program, nor can it be found by tune up utilities. All I have is an Icon on my desk top. It's not even in programs, all I can assume is that it has hidden its self in my BT yahoo mail and is sharing files with that.

I am desperate to get rid of the blooming thing and don't know how.. I have Nortons go back but the 25th Sept seems to be too far to go back.

I rang BT Help who basicily said, that my CPU was very slow and to take it into a repair shop to have the non-required progams removed. I have not got that kind of money, and it worked perfectly fine until I downloaded the program.

PLEEEEEZE can some kind person out there help me get rid of it. In easy peasy terms please, as I am not brilliant with computers :thumbsup:

Swampie Sue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

Why not just uninstall the entire Yahoo beta program? Norton may or may not be the cause of all the problem.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

if you can use a registry editor,which if you dont know what your doing you mess your puter up worse.but go into the registry and see if you can find norton antispyware and delete it from there.also check in your program files for norton and see if theres a uninstaller in there.

#4 suehall

suehall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

:thumbsup: To be honest with you I don't know how to use a registry editor, and to be honest with you am not sure how to uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo program either. It's all tied in with my broadband and I have made such a mess of it so far am afraid what I might do next.

I checked out the thread how to remove Norton's but find it all a bit daunting. I have Norton's go back and also know the path where the Nortons Spy-ware remover is... If I try and remove it manually and it all goes wrong will I be able to put it all right again with Go Back.

I even lost my broadband connection earlier :flowers:

Swampie Sue

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:46 PM

Hello Sue:

Don't worry about using a registry editor. You can mess yourself up royally if you don't know what you're doing with it.

Can you find the Yahoo program in Add/Remove programs?

Go to start then control panel then Add/Remove programs. It should be listed there. If it is, click on "remove." If it's not, let us know that too.

I'd try uninstalling that first and see if that takes care of the Norton problem. If it doesn't...

I was just about to direct you to the thread you found about using the Norton Removal tools, and you beat me to it. Don't be overwhelmed though by all the stuff. I find that the following is the most important, bearing in mind that you must use Internet Explorer in order to use the tools:

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls ALL Norton 2004/2005/2006 products from your computer. It also uninstalls Norton Ghost 10.0/9.0/2003.

There are two options available: On line removal using a tool that only works in Internet Explorer and Manual File Download. If you are not going to reinstall Norton, then skip the step which instructs you to do that.

Using the Norton Removal Tool - on line removal: Click the "RUN IT NOW" button in Step 2 (skip Step 3).
Using the Norton Removal Tool - Manual file download (skip Step 4)

Since you say that you are having some internet connection problems, I'd suggest downloading the off-line removal tool to a disk or thumb drive on another computer, then install it from that on your computer. It will handle most of the registry entries as well. You may need to run it more than once, even if it doesn't tell you to.

Hope this helps,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

I was assuming that you had maybe the Yahoo toolbar and then added the beta program. Or was subscribed to the Yahoo online email and then added the Yahoo Beta. Did you get your broadband connection thru Yahoo? Do you consider Yahoo your Internet Service Provider?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 suehall

suehall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hi Orange blossom,

I have found the add & remove program for Yahoo, but the Nortons anti spyware does not seem to be in it, also my main concern is that, if I uninstall the whole thing am not sure how to reinstall it again.

It seems to have made a right mess of my Internet explorer as well cos every time I try to use it all these boxes come up with paths in them which point to symantec. I can still use Internet explorer but it would not download the tool.

I think I will do as you say and get someone else to download the tools for me, and if I am really lucky I will ask him to help me remove it too.

In future I will be more careful what I download. :thumbsup:

#8 suehall

suehall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hi Buddy

The yahoo e-mail comes from British Telecom my Internet provider, when I clicked on check my e-mails it asked if I wanted to change to beta, a more up to date and better looking version. I chose to give it a try but decided to revert back because it did not look good on my monitor.... It's quite old. I had no problems changing back but I was still stuck with the complementary version of Nortons that came with it. It was not until much later that realized that the slow down on my PC was down to it, by that time it was too late to use Nortons go back which I also have installed on my computer. Because I dont use Internet explorer, as I prefer FireFox it was not until today I also realized I had problems with that too.

The problem is that it seems to be sharing with other program, which has really made me a bit afraid to muck about with it, cos I really don't know what I am doing.

Swampie Sue

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

Click on tools then click on "manage addons". See if Norton is listed there. If it is, perhaps disabling there will at least give you temporary relief till your helper arrives.
Thanks for explaining your setup. I can see where it might be a little tricky and could cause you problems, if you completely removed Yahoo, with your email since it is actually your main email account thru your ISP. Good luck to you!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

Remember the word BETA means it is a test program,ergo you may have problems with it

2 suggestions:
1)on the mail page , below the welcome message there should be a "switch back button. Switch back to the old mail.
Then uninstall Norton via the provided kinks
Then if you want to try reinstall with out the Norton this time

:thumbsup: 2) I'm assuming win XP. Do a System Restore to a point prior to the beta install

Edited by boopme, 04 October 2006 - 08:57 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 suehall

suehall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:57 AM

Gosh what a sticky critter this is,

I deleted the anti spy-ware in yahoo, the icon on my desk top disappeared but lo and behold I still had the same problems.

Then I tried system restore, but the system could not be restored to that date.

Will I get rid of it if I uninstall my whole broadband package and reinstall it, and how will that effect the outlook
express that it seems to have wound itself into.

Flipping thing is a bit like poison ivy.

Swampie Sue

#12 suehall

suehall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

Tried That, did not work, tried deleting it through the registry, It's playing havoc with my windows.

Nothing left for it I am having to format my hard drive.

I won't download that again if I can help it........

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:54 AM

Why not remove it from your startup menu?

I recommend Startup Inspector for managing entries on the startup menu:

Startup Inspector freeware (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users