Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access the specific safe mode option desired

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nikilet

Nikilet

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

I don't have any trouble getting into safe mode selection screen, but once there I can't select the option I want. I press my keyboard keys and nothing happens. I can't even get out of that screen by hitting enter. Nothing happens. I get to where the screenshot shows here, but can go no further and have to use the power button to get out of the screen.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

So if for instance you press F5 nothing happens?

Have you tried connecting a mouse before you boot into safe mode? (I am assuming here that you are using a laptop)

#3 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

I'm using a laptop and a wireless mouse. I don't use the touch pad. I've tried that F5 key too. There is absolutely no response between the keyboard and that screen. In getting to that particular screen I have to use the arrow keys to make selections and that all works fine. I also tried the arrow keys on the Safe Mode page and they don't work either.

Another thing, just in case they would be related ... my laptop has had some problems since the March Windows update, which is why I discovered this problem with Safe Mode. I also discovered that when I tried to use the 'Startup Repair' at the end it said "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC."

I've run the sfc / scannow twice and no integrity errors. I've run that Chkdsk /F and no problems. I've run that Hard Disk Sentinel and got excellent ratings.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

The old school way which is way better than the new fangled way.

Take a look at this link.

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/enable-f8-safe-mode-boot-menu.8/

This will need to be done fist to be able to accomplish the procedure in the above link.

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/elevated-command-prompt.2/

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

My boot time is already pretty extended since that March Windows update, so, can this command be undone if I choose?f

Also, keep in mind that I don't have any trouble getting to the Safe Mode screen. I just can't select anything after I get there.

Seems I'm having another problem. I can't post this. I cllick on post and a green box with dots in it pops up for a second and nothing happens.

p.s. I had to re-sign in 3 times before my post was finally submitted.

Edited by Nikilet, 23 March 2018 - 08:26 PM.

#6 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

Read https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/keyboard-and-mouse-not-working-in-safe-mode/00880262-7dad-4d26-a102-d3768b33b6e3

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:24 AM

so, can this command be undone if I choose?f

I don't use Windows 10 I just fix the Windows 10 computers for the family and I've noticed no change in boot times on any of the Windows 10 computers after making this change.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

I can't use System Restore because I did a repair install on my computer, which didn't fix near everything that was wrong.

#9 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:49 PM

Reset the BIOS to Default Settings. Google how to access the BIOS for your particular computer.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm How to enter the BIOS or CMOS setup

Edited by RokTV, 26 March 2018 - 11:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users