Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Cursor During Windows Bootup !

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:40 AM

I've been having this problem for some time: it's either 'cause I have too many startup apps or I don't turn on my laptop quickly after connecting it to the AC mains. I keep getting random black screens with cursor during bootup. & I have to coldboot it to get Windows 10 to load properly. Again, I've disabled most startup apps like Rainmeter, Objectdock 2 Plus,  Fences (3?!), MuralPix Manager,  Executor.dk, Atomic Alarm Clock. It shouldn't happen anymore,  but if it does crop up I'll let you know —I thought it was happening 'cause of Stardock WindowBlinds' Accent Color Picker, but even with that disabled it's happened again after many months. My main worry here is if it shows the blank screen during an Windows update installation. The second reason is when I keep the computer off yet plugged in to the mains —I'm guessing a power surge with the battery is what 'causes it. Help please ! This is a Dell budget laptop (with Intel Celeron 2x1.5Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM (Kingston), 500GB Toshiba HDD.) I purchased around a year ago —used to freeze but the store fixed it by replacing the Wi-Fi adapter & switching from Windows 8.1 to 10.

Edited by alien_fx_fiend, 22 March 2018 - 11:54 AM.

~The Worlds Deceit Has Raped My Soul, We Melt The Plastic People Down Then We Melt Their Plastic Town~

alien.PNG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

You could try turning off use sign-in info to auto finish setting up device after update or restart in Windows 10.
For Windows 10 (Version 1709), select the Start button, select Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, then make sure Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart is turned off.
For previous versions of Windows 10, select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Window Update > Advanced options, then select the check box next to Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update.
Another potential solution is to remove any USB devices (wireless mouse, keyboard, external hard drive/s) & wait to see if it fixes the black screen, if not then to restart with devices still disconnected (if possible).

#3 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

What happens if you boot into safe mode, does it still show black screen. Do you know if this might of happened after a recent update.

Please provide a speccy report as follows:

Speccy
http://filehippo.com/download_speccy

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

#4 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

You could try turning off use sign-in info to auto finish setting up device after update or restart in Windows 10.
For Windows 10 (Version 1709), select the Start button, select Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, then make sure Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart is turned off.
For previous versions of Windows 10, select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Window Update > Advanced options, then select the check box next to Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update.
Another potential solution is to remove any USB devices (wireless mouse, keyboard, external hard drive/s) & wait to see if it fixes the black screen, if not then to restart with devices still disconnected (if possible).

OK I will try it if it happens again, thank you very much ! This seems like a plausible fix. P.S: Could you please tell me what that does though, I don't want to have to type my username in everytime, as it's long & I have many aliases. P.P.S: I did what you requested.

Edited by alien_fx_fiend, 22 March 2018 - 05:04 PM.

~The Worlds Deceit Has Raped My Soul, We Melt The Plastic People Down Then We Melt Their Plastic Town~

alien.PNG

#5 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

What happens if you boot into safe mode, does it still show black screen. Do you know if this might of happened after a recent update.

Please provide a speccy report as follows:

Speccy
http://filehippo.com/download_speccy

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Alright, here you go ~> http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EZwgxdjF4Omj3cIJVQf2QSU

alien.PNG

#6 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

What happens if you boot into safe mode, does it still show black screen.

Please provide your Service tag # for your Dell

#7 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:38 AM

What happens if you boot into safe mode, does it still show black screen.

Please provide your Service tag # for your Dell

Service Tag is: "J3YFJ52"

alien.PNG

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

How to rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data)

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

To open the Command Prompt as an Administrator please do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the three commands below one at a time, press Enter after each command.

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

You should see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Go to the following link and update all of your drivers:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/j3yfj52/drivers

If that doesn't fix your issues then I would suggest performing the following:

How to Clean install Windows 10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install-insiderplat_pc/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08?auth=1p

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

The purpose of a Clean Boot is to determine what service/s are causing problems.  This is done by typing in msconfig in the search box, clicking on the Services tab, click on Disable all, then click in the Disable all Microsoft services. 

Once this is done restart the computer to see if the problem persists.  If the problem persists this is not a Microsoft service causing this. 

If the problem does not occur when it is restarted after disabling the Microsoft services there is a third party services causing this problem.

A Clean Boot is basically a process of elimination.  You isolate the Windows services and disable the third party services,  then restart the computer.  After restarting the computer to see if the problem continues, if the problem does not continue you know that one of the third party services is causing this problem.  This is where the process of elimination comes into play.  You will add checks to half of the services, then restart the computer, one of these halves will contain the problematic service.  The half with the checks that causes this problem is the half you want to continue to divide in half and restart till you eventually find the services causing the problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:40 AM

Go to the following link and update all of your drivers:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/j3yfj52/drivers

If that doesn't fix your issues then I would suggest performing the following:

How to Clean install Windows 10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install-insiderplat_pc/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08?auth=1p

OK so I've missed 2 of those drivers: BIOS & Touchpad (released in March) —I have the older ones though.

How to rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data)

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

To open the Command Prompt as an Administrator please do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the three commands below one at a time, press Enter after each command.

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

You should see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Thanks a lot again ! I will try your instructions if it happens again —-though I'am pretty sure it was the outdated [desktop enhancements] apps I've got in startup.

alien.PNG

#12 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:35 AM

Hi Dc3, your post #8, I have explained this to you before, you cannot attempt to repair a boot file in normal mode, unless you are cleaver enough to modify the bcdedit BCD store. Bootrec in normal mode will return:-

'bootrec' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

It has to be run in the RE, and you should also run bootrec /? first, so that you get a better idea of the cmd's available.

#13 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

What does the Intel Management Engine Interface, Intel Serial I/O & Rapid Storage Technology drivers do ? Will they help me in gaming ? P.S: Nevermind I Google'd & found these do help [with performance] ! Also can you compare with my Speccy list & tell me whether those Network drivers I'am about to install are compatible since I'am pretty sure the store said they replaced my Wi-Fi adapter. Also if you could give me the order to install Network drivers, the rest I can handle, with Chipset before Intel Management Engine, amirite ? P.S: Only 2 of the drivers installed —Intel Chipset (I think it was) & Touchpad. The rest was unsuccessful (incompatible I believe) & also some said there was a newer version of one file, do you want to continue, so I clicked no (Intel Management Engine Interface & some other drivers I believe.)

Edited by alien_fx_fiend, 24 March 2018 - 03:03 PM.

alien.PNG

#14 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

It is best to install Intel management engine. What other drivers did you not install?

Step 1.
Msinfo32 File
1. Click on Start menu
2. Type in command
3. Right click on Command Prompt in list and select Run as Administrator
4. Copy and Paste the command into the command console
msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"
5. Compress into .zip file and Upload the file from your desktop

Step 2:
List all Drivers
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

1. Download the correct version for your computer (32 or 64 bit)
2. Extract and Run the file
3. Select View Menu and Check
a. Mark Non-Microsoft Drivers
b. Hide Microsoft Drivers
c. Add Header Line To CVS/Tab-Delimited File
4. Select Edit menu and choose Select All or use (Ctrl + A)
5. Select File menu and choose Save Selected Items
6. Save as Drivers or other known name
7. Save As Type Comma-delimited text file (.csv)
8. Compress the Drivers.csv file to a compressed Zip file
9. Upload the file to your next reply

Edited by dmccoyks, 24 March 2018 - 04:05 PM.

#15 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:14 AM

It is best to install Intel management engine. What other drivers did you not install?

The rest were the Network drivers —oh & Rapid Storage Technology & stuff like that. I'd already installed the Intel HD Graphics driver before (latest version.) OK I will follow your steps. P.S: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/n63pi8liikdy6ee/msinfo32.zip & https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/e43sjh1r1jt1cmk/Drivers.zip P.P.S: It may be because of the newer BIOS update (may have had a newer version of a file.) The file is: "Driver: HECI\heci.inf" "Package version: 11.0.0.1146" "Installed version: 11.0.0.1181" I'll wait for newer versions of the drivers. The black screen with cursor happened during bootup again !—only this time I had minimalistic start-up apps, like IDM, Em-Tray Editor, PhraseExpress, Tiny Spell, Wordweb Pro, Executor.dk & Atomic Alarm Clock + [Dell Touchpad] + [Dell Audio] + [Windows Security Centre] (mostly in tray.) Also I installed IDM recently so that couldn't be it. I suspect a power surge or could be another startup app —I'll try disabling more startup apps !

I was running low on C: OS partition so I used Minitool Partition Wizard before to borrow space from D: which had plenty. Somehow I also lost my recovery image partition, & now have around 30 GB freespace. Also I set 12 GB to virtual memory, don't know if that's what's 'causing it.

I disabled Fast Startup as a temporary fix.

Edited by alien_fx_fiend, 25 March 2018 - 11:14 AM.

alien.PNG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users