Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Stereo Equalizers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

I have an Audio Control Equalizer, Spectrum Analyzer, and Pink Noise Generator that I bought in 1983. It generates pink noise and has a mic for the purpose of determining the difference between the signal going in (pink noise) and the signal coming out through the speakers so I can adjust frequency levels and thereby be assured that what is going in is also what is coming out. Does anyone know where I can find such an equalizer today?  I've found several older ones from the 1980s but the mics for all have been misplaced. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

I had the same problem when I moved into my home in 1985.  Couldn't get the levels right even with different mics.  Did the best I could until I got a Yamaha to replace the venerable Pioneer  surround unit I had.  Yamaha has this thing they call YPAO that has it's own mic and a routine you run that optimizes all settings.  Almost perfect and only took minor tweaks for perfection.  The routine emits multiple tones (some quite loud) and adjust settings automatically.  Really makes a difference.  Even the low end units have this function.

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

After receiving your response I did just a little research and found that, in reference to YPAO, they seem to be talking about receivers specifically so I assume I would need a Yamaha receiver, which is a deal breaker already. If I were to get a Yamaha receiver I wouldn't be able to use my McIntosh 2100 power amp, the heart and soul of my system. I'm looking for an equalizer that has a pink noise generator and a mic to adjust frequencies such that I would have pink noise going in and pink noise coming out. Even my twin JBL 4311 Studio Monitors have differences with respect to how they each reproduce pink noise. If I had an equalizer with pink noise and a mic I could make the output between the speakers identical to both each other and to the input source. 

Thanks for your response. The idea of calibrating your system such that what goes in is exactly what comes out seems to have died with the 1980s. If anyone knows where I could find such an equalizer, please let me know.

Thanks again. 

#4 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

As a follow up, I managed to locate 2 equalizers that have pink noise generators: a Sherwood and a Pioneer. Although they have input jacks for the mic, neither have the mic itself. 

I'd appreciate it if anyone out there knows whether or not the mics for equalizers having pink noise generators have common plugs, making them interchangeable.

I'd also appreciate it if anyone knows where I could buy an aftermarket mic. Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users