Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hard drive: Any specific things I should do or be aware of?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hi. My hard drive died. Luckily the computer repair folks were able to clone my old one onto a new one. After about two hours of using the laptop with the new hard drive all seems in order. The only glitch is that I have to reenter passwords, etc.

Are there anythings I should look out for with a new hard drive?

Any tips on potential problems?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

The only thing I can advise is to get yourself a USB external drive and create a complete disk image to it. If you do this on a regular basis, the timing depending on installing new programs and updates, you would be able to recover the image from the USB external to a new drive and not have to worry about paying somebody else to do a clone.

Some programs that can do this with Easeus being the easiest

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Macrium Free

All allow you to create bootable media, CD or USB, that allows you to recover the image if the computer does not boot because of file system corruption or a failed drive. Easeus and Aomei also do file/folder backups on a schedule along with incremental and differential backups. 

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

Yes get a external they are life savers

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:22 PM

Thanks. I've had an external drive backup for years - but only for documents and photos, etc. I did not know about cloning or disc image. I'll look into this.

Thanks again.

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

If you don't already have a recovery disk I'd download a free ISO from Microsoft. The reason I say this is often when you clone a failing HDD you'll bring the same problems to the new HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users