Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Bad System Config Info

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 neuropocalyptic

neuropocalyptic

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

My computer has been slow and displaying a blue screen often for quite some time, but I chose to ignore it since it was running ok. I then decided to try and fix it it first by checking my hard disk for bad or corrupt sectors, so I scheduled a chkdsk to run at next boot up. However, the scan hung at 11% so I interrupted it, shut it down and tried restarting and the PC looped into a blue screen. First the blue screen said something relating to the NTFS file system. SO I tried repairing it using bootrec without any luck. Now the only blue screen I am getting says Bad System Config Info and I can't boot into my OS. I am really worried because I have a ton of files that I need backed up. I have a USB to sata converter which i used to connect my laptop's hard drive to another laptop, but I get an access denied error after doubleclicking the user profile on which all my info is stored. I also tried using Easeus Data Recovery but its running really slowly. I am in dire need of help. can anyone assist me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

Likely, one or a combination of the following happened:

• Your file system was severely corrupted and CHKDSK, in an attempt to fix it, corrupted it further. (The file system was probably corrupted by a failing hard disk.)
  • The interruption of CHKDSK happened to corrupt some sectors containing the registry.

As the first troubleshooting step, I would suggest you try to restore your registry from its built-in backup: https://pureinfotech.com/restore-registry-backup-windows-10/

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 neuropocalyptic

neuropocalyptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

Thank you for your reply. I will attempt this first step and get back to you as soon as possible. And yes, I agree theoretically. I thought all the things you mentioned. Thanks again and I look forward to working with you!

#4 neuropocalyptic

neuropocalyptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

Your solution worked! the computer is booting into the OS again! I feel like the OS is working faster too because of the reg replacement but i may be wrong. I was also able to successfully run a chkdsk via the command prompt after i messed things up. Now the reason why i started messing around with the computer is that i purchased a fresh copy of windows 10 and i wanted to install. I first had windows 8 but my computer was running slow after a while, like unusually slow, so i dont loaded windows 10 when it was made free and available via download for a while. I thought that whatever issues i had would disappear with the upgrade to windows 10 but my computer was slower under windows 10. So i would like to know, if i reinstall windows 10 on the active partition, leaving the recovering partition in tact, would i still be able to recover my computer using the recovery partition, which has windows 8 on it? or Is there a way for me to manually build a recovery partition for my new windows ten installation? these are the specs to my computer:

Acer Aspire V561p-6675

i5-4200U

2.30 GHZ

64bit touch

originally shipped with Windows 8

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:00 PM

Words cannot express how glad I am! :) Instead of reinstalling Windows, the first thing I'd do now is backup all your data. Your hard disk is potentially faulty; we don't wish to take any chances. After, I would then suggest you run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Run all the tests, starting with the S.M.A.R.T test, followed by the Short Drive Self test, and ending with the Short and Long Generic tests. If any test fails, do not continue with the other tests; your drive is likely failing.

May I see the CHKDSK log? Guide

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 neuropocalyptic

neuropocalyptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Im sorry but im not sure how to find the check disc log but it did not return any errors and i ran HDD tests with HD Sentinel program. it passed smart test and HDD health was at 100% The computer is even running much faster. I'm pretty satisfied at this point and am confident in the computers health. 

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

Glad to hear that! Since you are experiencing no more problems, I guess we shall leave your computer as is. :)

Regards,

bwv848

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users