Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 forced update on laptop running on battery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AlpenaComputing

AlpenaComputing

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

Well it looks like my laptop is corrupted. While running on battery Microsoft update started and now it constantly rebooting for at least a half hour. What was in their heads to start this massive update on a machine was going to crash due to battery charge. Is there a way out of this loop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

should try to get into the repair windows mode and see if you can restore to a system restore.

You need to shutdown/force reboot the machine while it tries to load windows.

#3 AlpenaComputing

AlpenaComputing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

No restore points but when selecting repair two OS options were displayed. One would not work, the other repaired after I backed out an operating system upgrade it booted normally.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

are you sure it's rebooting because of battery dying, or may be it's trying to fix itself.   windows can take up to 24hrs to undo an update it started and failed doing.   I would just let it go and do its thing and see if it fixes itself.

unless you are 100% sure its caught in a loop.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:53 PM

windows can take up to 24hrs to undo an update it started and failed doing. 

Personally, I think taking that long to restore an OS is ridiculous. If that happened to me I would force a shut down and restore a backup image but unfortunately not many people do disk image backups. 

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

I have never experienced anything near to 24 hours to undo a failed update, including a major feature update, under Windows 10.

It is surprising that the OS would not detect that a laptop was operating on battery power before actually restarting for an update (though I can find nothing official that shows it would be intelligent about this).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

No restore points but when selecting repair two OS options were displayed. One would not work, the other repaired after I backed out an operating system upgrade it booted normally.

So it's fixed now?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users