Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Cpu.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:26 AM

Hi, I am currently using a AMD Athlon ™64 processor 3000+ 2.00GHz , and I am thinking to upgrade it to a duo core processor, which I don't really know if I should stay with AMD or maybe choosing Intel? And also which duo processor to choose from, there are so many of them. I use my computer about 5 hours per day, which is quite frequently. I am willing to spend about $190 US for the upgrading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

You are using the ASUS K8V-X motherboard, yes? Well, the bad news is that it is past its time and might not be worth an upgrade. You might be able to find an Athlon 3200+ for it, or even a 3700+ but I doubt you'll find one that cheap. Neither would be a big upgrade.

Getting an Intel Core 2 Duo would require getting a new motherboard and RAM as well, which would cost way more than $190. Getting anything good and the AMD side is pretty much the same story.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:25 PM

so if thats put the $190 aside, is AMD better than Intel at duo processor most time? Because I have done some search on the internet, and it seems that AMD is better for duo processor and cheaper.

#4 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:15 AM

and are those duo processors that much better than the one I have? Will I see much improvement?

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:08 AM

The Core 2 Duo processors are the best on the market and better than anything AMD has. That's not to say what AMD has is really bad or doesn't offer good value. That said, any Core 2 Duo would be much better than what you have. How big of a difference depends on the rest of the computer and what you are going to use it for.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:49 AM

i know core 2 duo is much better, but can you give me a compare between the intel pentium D 950 or 960 to AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors? thanks alot.

#7 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

check out this site: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2014647,00.asp

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

Doing what? How they compare depends on what type of benchmark you compare with. Gaming, encoding, zipping, 3D modeling...

#9 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:02 AM

AMD seems to be better and selling at a lower prize.

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:05 AM

At lower prices AMD offer better value, if you don't consider overclocking, but when you go a bit higher the Core 2 Duo is the better choice.

#11 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:10 AM

a bit higher? how much would that be? can you suggest me an approxiamte prize?

#12 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:15 AM

don't worry I found the prizes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users