Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Final Fantasy For The Pc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:04 AM

What Final Fantasy games were released for the PC and are they worth playing today?

I know a few were, but I lose track as they seem to have new FF games every year. Were most released for the PC? How do they compare to the consoles?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:08 AM

I have trouble keeping the different numbering schemes for the FF series correct. I think almost all of the FF series were released for the consols first, and only much later made it to the PC. I have not played any on the PC, and stopped playing the series completely after it became too linear and constrained.
I would certainly be interested in member's opinions about their PC experience with any of the FF series.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Apart from Final Fantasy XI (online), I'm not certain on the number of Final Fantasy games that came to the PC.

I know for a fact Final Fantasy 7 and 8 came to the PC, heck I even own FF7 for the PC. With FF7, there were some minor tweaks from the console version of the game but I don't think there was anything major. Graphically, it was the exact same thing and it's really weird at first when you use a keyboard but I think you may be able to use a controller though, I used a joystick for a while (don't ask why cause I can't even answer that).

The biggest advantage I think I could find with FF7 on the PC was that you could go into the folder and watch all the CG cutscenes.

Edited by Wizdabest, 04 October 2006 - 12:53 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Is FF7 worth playing today? Good game?

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

I think Final Fantasy VII and VIII were released for PC...and that's it.

I still love Final Fantasy VII...I have both the Playstation and the PC versions. The graphics are a little dated, but if that doesn't bother you Grinler, I think you should give it a try!! :thumbsup:

And John, I LOVE linear games!!! Its like an interactive book to me! Games that are open-ended scare me; I need to know exactly where to go and what to do. Otherwise, I play the entire game with either the strategy guide, or a walkthrough...yes, I'm a wuss, I know!! :flowers:

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

I never really cared for FF7. That was probably because the first Final Fantasy I played was FF8.

One thing about FF7, at least for the PC version, I always had nausea issues when I played it. I don't know if it was just because the game itself looked blurry or if it was just being right there on the PC screen that did it for me. I don't know how it would be on the console version or even if you'd have that problem like I do.

#7 Tavern

Tavern

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

I have ff7 on PC... i also have it for the playstation... there are no differences...

its a little tricky if u plan on using your laptop thou... u will need to install a few patches because the game is orginally setup to use the numpad... and if ur laptop doesnt have one you wont have any control due to the inital settings being set up for numpad... the patches are pretty easy to find for the laptop.. google em...

The graphics are just as crappy as on the playstation...

--ps: ff7 is awesome.. much better than ff8.. in my opinion... or maybe i think its so awesome becuase its the first final fantasy I've played...

I've beaten all Final Fantasies starting from ff1 to ffx-2.
I also recommend geting an nes emulator and downloading ff1, ff2, ff3. or getting GBA emu and downloading ff1 ff2 dawn of souls. the GBA version has little better graphics.

Edited by Tavern, 04 October 2006 - 03:28 PM.

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

In the few Final Fantasy games I've played, I would not recommend playing X-2. Even if you beat FFX, X-2 has a lot of crappy aspects to it. Sure, I like the new battle system but just the way it is with the whole 'Charlie's Angels' theme. Even two female friends of mine who play it say they over did that.

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

FFVII < FFX < FFVIII

Or, without roman numerals:

FF7 < FF-10 < FF8

I still think ff8 was AWESOME, i just prefer 10 over 8, and 7 over all of them. 10 had gorgeous graphix, a very nice turn-based system, a very good story, and i loved the character specialties (Lulu for magic, Yuna for summoning, Auron for strength, etc).

FF8 was very good, only the junctioning system was cumbersome. Too often, i had to go back and try to re-junction the same gf's to certain people. It seemed everytime the story cut away from one character, you had to completely reset their junctions and magics.

FF7 was just magnificent. Horrible graphix, but the BEST story, and the best characters. Also, TONS of side missions and extra things to do. It also had PLENTY of humor, and one of the best video-game villains EVER (sephiroth). My vote for best FF game goes to the 7th one.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:20 AM

Final Fantasy VII is one of the best RPG I've played regardless of the platform. In fact, the PC version introduced me to RPG's and I was so excited when VIII was released for the PC and I liked that one too. I wonder why IX was never released for the computer. FFX was probably too much of a resource hog when it was released to be considered for PC release. XI, which I've never played, was the next for the PC. I don't think XII will be released and I'm almost certain XIII would not be released for the comuter. After watching the trailer for XIII at gametrailers.com, I don't think a normal computer could easily handle it. Personally, I think the best RPG for the 32-bit consoles would be Suikoden II with FFVII a close second. The Xenosaga series and FFX would be the best for 128-bit consoles.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users