Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP ProBook 4540s: Auto Repair infinite loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Panoguy

Panoguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

Hello:

I did a really dumb thing, & I'm hoping some can save me from myself:
I have an HP ProBook 4540, Win10/64, updated from win8/64 a good while ago. Since that update, the fingertip scanner has been broken, so I thought I'd take a stab at getting it operational once-again. BIG MISTAKE!

Per another forum thread (another BIG MISTAKE - should stick with BleepingComputer forums!) that made sense to me, I installed a later version of the scanner driver, and re-installed the HP Client Security Manager, which also seemed to have disappeared/broke during the win10 update.

Upon 1st. boot, I got the typical windows picture login screen - minus the login dialogue... I did have a mouse pointer. After a hard-boot, I entered the infinite Automatic Repair mode that I'm now experiencing. Here's what I've done (in Automatic Repair Advanced options):
- Troubleshoot|Advanced Options|System Restore - no restore points (yet another BIG mistake!)

​- Troubleshoot|Advanced Options|Restore system image - no image files (yeah, I know)

​- Troubleshoot|Advanced Options|Startup Repair - loops back to auto repair

​- Troubleshoot|Advanced Options|Startup Settings - no joy there, loops back to auto repair

​- Troubleshoot|Advanced Options|Command Prompt - Window opens to X:\Windows\system32, when I go to the root of X:, all files seem intact, but there's 2 files that I've never seen before, that are timestamped right around the time that I started to experience this problem:

OfflineRecEnvTrace.etl & OfflineStartupRepairTrace.etl

C: drive is pretty-much empty: 33 SYSTEM, which is 33 bytes in size.

I'd love to be able to get into safe mode, and undo the damage that I've done, can anyone out there help me do that?

Thanks much in-advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Panoguy

Panoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention an important thing: I needed to uncheck the "Show compatible hardware" box in-order to view the driver... per that forum thread.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

See this post by BC member jenae. Read it over twice before doing the steps. This will only have a chance of working if the hives are not listed as zero bytes and their dates are before the problem.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/672901/black-screen-with-cursor-help-plz-fix/?p=4463420

I'm very worried about you saying C:  is only 33 bytes but you then said all files are intact. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users