Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Install a Samsung 860 Evo M2 SSD 500GB Into My Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sentrill

Sentrill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:01 AM

Greetings,
Ive had a ridiculously annoying time trying to deal with my issue. I currently use a HP Pavilion Power 15t (1GK62AV). Recently my hard drive failed out of nowhere and left me unable to boot and reload windows. I contacted HP support and they wanted me to pay $105 for a 7200RPM 1TB hard drive or $230 for a 256 NVME M2 SSD. Those are way over priced and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if the product mentioned in the title will work at loading and booting the OS as Ive read about many issues with the 960 Evo not booting after loading Windows. If anyone could help give suggestions too on what I should replace it with Id greatly appreciate it. Im a busy college student and really need a solution fast... cant write another 7 page essay on my phone. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

HP has had a nasty habit of saving a few pennies by not adding the connectors for unused devices in many of their models so you should check before you buy an M.2 SSD.

Here is your support page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Power-15-cb000-Laptop-PC/15551388/model/16777434?sku=1GK62AV

And, from the User Guides link, here is the service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493193

You need to take the bottom off to access almost anything so do that and see if the M.2 (PCIE) connector is there or not.

If it isn't, buy a SATA SSD which will definitely work.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

^ That is incredibly penny pinching if that is the case.  Wow!

Information I found indicates the usual SSD on the HP Pavilion Power 15t was an SK Hynix SC308, which is an M.2 2280 form factor drive which uses the SATA protocol. As the Samsung 860 Evo M.2 is the same form factor, protocol etc. it should therefore just drop right in (assuming they haven't  removed the M2 slot as a cost cutting measure!).  It looks like some configurations were supplied with either that drive or a faster optional NVMe (PCIE) drive, plus a secondary 1 Tb HDD.

As these laptops look to be quite new, are you sure the HDD is not still under warranty?

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Sentrill

Sentrill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

I decided to just go with the Western Digital Black Performance Mobile 7200rpm HDD instead. I figured the 860 evo wasnt worth the risk of it not working properly even though I wouldve loved to have a nice SSD. I may pick one up later now that I know it should work. Hopefully the new HDD works out alright. The hard drive is under warranty but I would have to send it to them to repair and Id rather not wait a month to get it back. They said they couldnt just send me a replacement even with the evidence I provided. Thanks for the information guys, its incredible how hard it is the find info for these topics.

Edited by Sentrill, 21 March 2018 - 08:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users