Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vpn And Ip Addresses

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leehaa

Leehaa

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:30 AM

Hi,

How does VPN work? I thought that if you dialed in to a network via VPN, it would automatically allocate you one of it's own IP addresses, so say when you are connected directly to the network, you get a 10.112.90.? address, you'd automatically be allocated a similar one via dialing in.

I've just been trying to connect to a customer. Was given a 192.168.?.? address and have been unable to connect. I thought that is correct because the address is the address that the user has at home, given to him by his router and not the one allocated when he has dialed in via VPN...

When I spoke to the guy who gave me the address, he tells me that I should be able to connect with that and "it is the standard VPN address"...

I'm totally confused now...Please someone help!! :thumbsup:

Feel like giving up support as i'm getting one thing after another wrong and getting very muddled up with everything!! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leehaa

Leehaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:31 AM

I still cannot connect to the user. I cannot ping them.

I am connected to the network in question (network A) from my office network (Network B ) via a default gateway which I think is a router that has a path to Network A (You with me?)

The user is dialing in to Network A via VPN.

The IT dept who are on Network A can see the user fine, but, although i'm connected Network A, I cannot see the IP address i've been given!!

I need to connect to the user via pcanywhere...

Why can't I can't see the IP address i've been given?

Thanks,

L.

Edited by Leehaa, 04 October 2006 - 10:32 AM.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

If you click on start, then run, and type cmd and press enter you will get to the cmd prompt. Type ipconfig /all and it should show your virtual (vpn) connection and its assigned ip address.

#4 halfbaked

halfbaked

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:53 AM

Hi,

How does VPN work? I thought that if you dialed in to a network via VPN, it would automatically allocate you one of it's own IP addresses, so say when you are connected directly to the network, you get a 10.112.90.? address, you'd automatically be allocated a similar one via dialing in.

I've just been trying to connect to a customer. Was given a 192.168.?.? address and have been unable to connect. I thought that is correct because the address is the address that the user has at home, given to him by his router and not the one allocated when he has dialed in via VPN...

When I spoke to the guy who gave me the address, he tells me that I should be able to connect with that and "it is the standard VPN address"...

I'm totally confused now...Please someone help!! :thumbsup:

Feel like giving up support as i'm getting one thing after another wrong and getting very muddled up with everything!! :flowers:

most likely this is a private address inside his network, your not going to be able to connect to him using this address. If people on network a are seeing him they are just seeing that ip on their network. have you confirmed that this address they are seeing is him? its very unlikely. although 192.168 addys dont have to be private they are NEVER public unless your net admin is a moron.

Maybe i am reading the question wrong.. But you might be saying that he is dialing into your VPN and recieving a 192.168 addy?

here is a link that might help you understand ip classes
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/protocols/ip-classes.html#ipv4

Edited by halfbaked, 08 October 2006 - 03:57 AM.

#5 halfbaked

halfbaked

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:55 AM

I need to connect to the user via pcanywhere...

Why can't I can't see the IP address i've been given?

Thanks,

L.

that software sucks

try logmein.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users