Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computrace Enabled but not Activated

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:38 AM

Just bought an old Thinkpad with Computrace enabled, but not activated, and need verification from experienced people that I'm understanding what I've been reading so far.

My most reliable source:

https://forum.thinkpads.com//viewtopic.php?t=114641

I think I'm good to just go ahead and format the hard drive and install W10. I couldn't find any rpcnetp-related processes running, though I'm still new to W10 and I have a hard time with how it displays information.

Should I try to contact Absolute Software and ask to have it permanently disabled? I have read that updating the bios can enable it, and that is something I'm interested in attempting in the near future.

Thanks for any wisdom on this issue.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:17 AM

I would rid the machine of it but that is my opinion!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

Well, I don't like the product much myself, but I dread the process of attempting to permanently disable it and don't want to go through it unless there is good reason to do so.

I've read a lot of stories about how hard that is to do, and there seem to be a good percentage of them that aren't able to get it removed. Basically, I would be asking a corporation to do some free work for me. What's their incentive? It seems exhausting and futile.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

On this site download a copy of REVO uninstaller, run it see if it shows the product in its line up.  If so click on it to remove it, use the advance button that should do the job.  If it does not show in REVO then do a search on how to remove it.  I did see an explanation on doing so on Google but IMO REVO will do a better job.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

The software is embedded in the BIOS firmware, from what I read.  Scanning Windows for it should prove pointless, IMO.

Louis

#6 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

Hamluis is correct. The above link details how to "permanently disable" it, but I don't believe it's possible to completely remove it. Even changing the hhd and installing linux wouldn't change anything.
What I'm hoping to learn is whether my current situation is tolerable as far as this prog/malware is concerned.

Speccy

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

The software is embedded in the BIOS firmware, from what I read.  Scanning Windows for it should prove pointless, IMO.

Louis

Correct It's also a service that Dell computers have and it is part of the bios.

http://cfile25.uf.tistory.com/image/1238B5254ADAC2E3D9B6B5

Fortunately on the Dell computers I have and use it has never been enabled and is still set to the Default setting which for Dell is Deactivate.

Edited by The-Toolman, 21 March 2018 - 12:22 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

Contact Absolute. See post #6

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522805/lenovo-thinkpad-t510-bios-computrace-by-absolute-software/

#9 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

So, let me ask my question a different way.
If an IT expert were to read the above link, widely considered to be the most correct explanation of Computrace and how to get rid of it, would they think I have a problem?
I'm hoping someone can help me parse 'enabled' vs 'activated'.
As far as I can tell, it's not active and has never been or rpc locators of some stripe would be running.
But I'm definitely no IT expert, hence my need for someone to double-check my thinking here.

Speccy

#10 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

Yes, that post is one reason I'm dreading contacting them.

Speccy

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

Are the services that is in the first post of my link running? Contact Absolute and ask what Enabled but not Activated means and if you can update your BIOS when it's enabled and not activated. Personally, I wouldn't want anything like this in BIOS.

#12 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

JohnC_21, no they aren't as far as I can tell but i've only looked at task manager. No experience with W10 and whether it shows all running processes. It looked like it doesn't show file extensions anymore which is odd to me. I will look again when I get home. Hopefully I can remember the name of some freeware that shows all that stuff. It's been a long time since I've done anything like this.

Speccy

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

I would just ignore it...I find it hard to believe that it's important enough to even think about.

I fail to see the impact of it not being or being on any system...seems to be a tracking mechanism tied to BIOS.  BIOS is tied to motherboard.  If you really think it's worth the attention...you must be anticipating or planning a change of motherboard.  In which case, the new motherboard and new BIOS will govern.

Louis

#14 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

Are the services that is in the first post of my link running? Contact Absolute and ask what Enabled but not Activated means and if you can update your BIOS when it's enabled and not activated. Personally, I wouldn't want anything like this in BIOS.

Thank you for convincing me to call that tech support number! It was MUCH less awful than I thought it was going to be!

It was over in about 15 minutes, and the guy was surprisingly nice, though somewhat opaque. It's obvious now why there is so much conflicting advice across message boards about lojack.

He verified the system with my serial number has never had lojack activated, but then went on to say that the only way to be sure was to download a free trial of lojack (!) and then not renew it. :hysterical: I really wanted to quiz him about this, but decided I don't need any Absolute software guys getting ticked at me.

To me, this verifies most of the information in Edward Mendelson's post (linked in my OP) about Computrace and how difficult it is to get rid of. The only thing the tech guy today shot down was the idea of "permanently disabling" it, which is mentioned in post #16 of the above link. You don't get rid of it, you just have to hope it never gets "activated", which is never entirely under user control, though we can make requests.

Speccy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users