Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown login password

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

hi,i probably already know  the answer to this question but here is what i am working with a friend brought me a laptop that she was given but they did not give her the password to startup the pc and i know it is a touchy subject about how to startup a pc when password is unknown my thoughts on how to do this is to install winxp because if she can get the password with whats on the pc she may not like what he finds,also if i understand pcs right installing a newer os will not wipe hdd clean is this right,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

If you don't know what is on the PC the best approach is to boot a live linux distro and explore the contents of the hard drive. What is the OS on the computer.  :blush:  It's Vista. 

If the computer has a recovery partition it may be possible to do a factory reset. What is the make and model of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 March 2018 - 09:21 PM.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

HERES SOMETHING I FORGOT TO put in last post and that is when i turn pc on it goes right thru bios to the login screen if that matters at all and yes it does have a vista os installed.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Computer's normally skip the BIOS before booting to Windows or any other OS.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 March 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

the make is GATEWAY SD,model is one of these two MA7 OR MT6705

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

I am not sure if Gateway placed a recovery partition of Vista on the hard drive. Is it the intention to recover data off the hard drive?

You can enable or reset the password using Lazesoft Recovery Suite which include the Password Reset and a File Manager. Run the program on another computer to may a boot disk or USB. 

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

It's best to enable the Hidden Administrator Account and work with it.

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-reset-administrator-password.html

If you can get into the computer using the Password Reset you may be able to do a factory reset using the below instructions.

https://ccm.net/faq/6809-reset-a-gateway-computer-to-factory-settings

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

i was just asked if i could get the pc work

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

From your first post you said you needed a login password. I provided the links which lets you to enable the Hidden Administrator Password or reset your current password allowing you to log in.

Is this password you mentioned in your first post a Windows login password or is it a BIOS/HDD password?

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

sorry i have not got back to you on this laptop but one thing that came up on the screen it said there was no OS if so then i should be able to download a OS.

can i put as much as a win7 OS on it if i can get one cheap enough and will i have to get an OK from MICROSOFT to do so and is it legal to download a OS without an  authentication or would it be cheaper to buy a small sledge hammer..

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:59 PM

A computer that ran Vista may not be able to run Windows 7. After looking at the specs of this computer I would not install Windows 7 on it. You can boot a linux distro on the computer and it would only cost you the price of a DVD or use a USB flash drive to install to the hard drive.

There may be files on the hard drive that you could copy to a USB external drive if linux can mount the drive. 

On this old computer I would install Mint Xfce 18.1

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3222

Download the iso file and burn it to a DVD using any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. For a USB flash drive you can use Rufus withe the iso file. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Boot the DVD or USB flash drive. Wait until at the desktop. You will see an icon on the desktop to install. Only do this after backing up any data you need on the drive.

#11 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:14 PM

thank you,you know i am sneaking up on 80yrs old so i getting down to my last 2 living brains cells its getting late in life to rush into anything.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

Actually linux for simply browsing the internet and doing email is fairly easy to pick up. The Bleeping Computer Linux forum can answer any questions you may have. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users