Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed new cpu now computer won’t turn on.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Butterlesstoast

Butterlesstoast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

The system I have is a dell dimension e520 with the original stock and compatible motherboard. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-e520/manuals

The original cpu was Intel® Core2 Duo Processor E6300
2M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB
I switched this with a
Intel® Core2 Duo Processor E8400
6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB
Apparently, this was something that your not supposed to do as that cpu is incompatible with my motherboard.
Therefore, after cleaning all the dust (so much dust), applying new thermal paste, etc. the new cpu installatiom led to my computer trying to turn on. An Amber/orange light turned on with my cpu fan running. There was no display shown or usually a green light turning on.
After trying to install the old cpu the same result occurred.
Therefore, it looks like I fried my motherboard as visually looking at all of my motherboard revealed the back of the motherboards (probably) silver rectangles directly behind the cpu board were a color brown or look rusted. (There was also a lot of dust here)
Should I consider my motherboard to be beyond repair?
Was gonna take it to a repair shop but will the repair costs be worth it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

Are you sure you installed the processor the right way.

There is an arrow on the processor and on the socket along with some alignment slots however I have seen them installed backwards as in 180 degrees from the way they should be installed it does happen.

I would take it apart and reinstall everything make certain it is the way it should be.

Nothing to lose at this point.

Edited by The-Toolman, 20 March 2018 - 06:25 PM.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#3 Butterlesstoast

Butterlesstoast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

I am sure I put the cpu chip in the right way as thats the only way the cpu fits. The two side edges only fit this way also.
However, I did take another look at my cpu slot and I think I may have found one of the clips to be slightly indented.
Whether this is the problem or not still goes back to what I assumed was the problem in the first place.
Is the Intel Core 2 duo e8400 compatible with my motherboard?
I tried looking online but I got different answers on how you would figure that out exactly.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:54 PM

It depends on what version of bios you are running.

Go to dell website and enter the service tag number and you should be able to see what bios version it was shipped with.

It may require a bios upgrade for the processor you are wanting to use.

I notice the processor you are wanting to use also has a FSB of 1333 MHz where the original processor has a FSB of 1066 MHz so you need to see if your motherboard supports 1333 MHz FSB.

The main goal now is to get the computer to post and boot into the OS.

If the processor isn't seated properly that can cause the symptoms you are having if you have the original processor installed and it doesn't post or boot.

You aren't going to burn up your motherboard by installing an incompatible processor in it.

Ran across this link.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Dell-Dimension-E520-UPGRADEN/td-p/4685381

Edited by The-Toolman, 20 March 2018 - 07:24 PM.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users