Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 random freeze/ crash requires power button

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 halogenic

halogenic

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

I've seen similar posts, but I haven't found a solution to this.  This problem for me started after the creator's update.  Here are the requested reports per the instructions given.  I will run the mem and hdd eval utilities as well.  I hope we can figure this out, I really don't want to buy a new computer.  I performed a reinstall using the windows menu system this morning around 10 hours ago.  It ran for 6 hours without issue, was powered down for 2 hours then up again for about 30 minutes before it locked up.  That was about 30 minutes ago. I know that information probably isn't very useful though.   :) 

Thanks for all you guys do helping others with their problems.

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   224.32KB   3 downloadsAttached File  DESKTOP-8LFIBS2.zip   16.84KB   1 downloads

Edited by halogenic, 20 March 2018 - 02:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

I found this error message in the Event Viewer: Licensing Status=
1: 0567073a-7d74-403b-b2d5-6b35da372d8d, 1, 0 [(0 [0xC004F014, 0, 0]

The code in black means your Windows is not genuine. This has happened a lot after the creators update. If you do have a legitimate copy of Windows 10 you can call Microsoft and get it activated over the phone. This can also happen if you've changed motherboards or other hardware.

#3 halogenic

halogenic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:58 AM

Thanks Henry!  I did indeed change motherboards not too long ago.  Could this be related to my freezing issue as well?

Andrew

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

Yes, that's very likely. Your Windows 10 key is tied to your motherboard. With a new one Windows activation doesn't recognize it.

#5 halogenic

halogenic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

Yes, that's very likely. Your Windows 10 key is tied to your motherboard. With a new one Windows activation doesn't recognize it.

And to further complicate matters, Windows claims it is activated with a digital license...  attempting to contact Microsoft now.

Thanks Henry.

#6 halogenic

halogenic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

Got in touch with Microsoft support.  They had me verify that windows was activated and told me it was a hardware issue.  We checked to see if the motherboard was Windows 10 compatible, it is.  In the end the tech told me to contact ASUS... I checked to make sure I had the most up to date drivers for my motherboard and I believe I do.  I'm tired of going on a wild goose chase.  I think I'm just going to buy a new computer.

Thanks again Henry for your help.

Edited by halogenic, 21 March 2018 - 04:11 PM.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

Don't give up yet. We might be able to help you still.

Please Download Speccy by Piriform

• Please download Speccy System Information Tool and save it to somewhere convenient such as your desktop.
  • Close any programs that may be running including your browser and double click Speccy.exe to run the tool.
  • Watch out for any offers to install other programs such as google chrome and untick the box(es) if you don't want them.
  • Speccy will very quickly scan your pc and create a report.
  • Top left of screen click file and select Publish Snapshot...
  • Click Yes to proceed.
  • Copy the URL to your clipboard and paste it into your next reply.

#8 halogenic

halogenic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:59 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WtXaFZPpkI8RIrrlvN2EJhc

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Have you tried to do a System Restore?

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

I have seen a power-on switch/button that is shorting do the same thing. Somehow, a signal is being sent to the power supply to cut power. If that switch is randomly shorting it will do the same thing. Check everything else out first, but keep that in mind.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 halogenic

halogenic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:50 AM

Have you tried to do a System Restore?

I did a fresh reinstall with a format included (Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC > "Do not keep my files" option)  so I think a restore is now out of the question.

I have seen a power-on switch/button that is shorting do the same thing. Somehow, a signal is being sent to the power supply to cut power. If that switch is randomly shorting it will do the same thing. Check everything else out first, but keep that in mind.

The power button issue might actually be something to look at.  My original power button quit functioning and I swapped it out for the "reset" button thinking to myself that a button is just a button.  Really, I didn't start having these freeze issues until the creator's update was installed on my computer, but I can't remember when I swapped out buttons so there's a chance it is related. 

I suppose I could try to hunt down the power button that fits my case or buy a new case, but if that doesn't fix the problem it's just money down the toilet.

Probably I will just get a new computer and use this one for less important things until it quits altogether.

Thank you both for offering advice, I've learned a fair bit I didn't know before.

Edited by halogenic, 24 March 2018 - 06:53 AM.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

Power button...easy to test.

Pop the side cover off and unplug the front panel power button wire lead where it connects to the motherboard, thus exposing two tiny contacts. Cross those two terminals with a screwdriver, and the computer should boot up. Use it for a while, and if no more problems happen the button is bad.

It sounds like you may have your heart set on a new unit. Consider building one yourself. It is not extremely difficult, and this website has lots of support for you.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 775 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

I agree, I've built 3 computers now and it is a lot of fun. Sometimes you'll want to pull your hair out but when you get it running and you have your dream machine it's more than worth all the work that went into it. You can get step by step help here as Ranchhand mentioned. It's also much cheaper in the long run.

#14 halogenic

halogenic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

Update: Updated Adobe Flash player two days ago, no freeze since.  Continuing to monitor.

#15 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

Good luck!!!! Sometimes the most frustrating problems have simple solutions. We just have to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users