Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Work On Photoshop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren_Marie

Lauren_Marie

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:21 AM

I had "not responding" whille doing work on Photoshop. Is there anyway to go into a secret file or registry to gain it back somehow? I mean, it must be logged somehwere!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:40 PM

Adobe Photoshop is a resource heavy program. Frequently when such programs are busy loading information and so forth, the program will say "not responding." This happens to me a lot because I have but 256 RAM.

How much RAM do you have and how many programs do you have running when this happens? Is the little green light on the disk tower (not the one that indicates the computer is on, but the other one) on or flickering like crazy when this happens? If so, do something else for a while, then come back and Photoshop will likely now be in the responding mode.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Lauren_Marie

Lauren_Marie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

it was not responding. I have 2GB or RAM and it never happened before. I already closed ti and when i repopened it it wasnt there as a recovery save or something

Anyway I can Get it bakc?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,699 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

Okay, to my knowledge, Photoshop doesn't have a built-in recovery feature like MS office does and which you described in your last post. I'm going to ask some questions that should help narrow down what the problem and possible solutions are. You've certainly got enough RAM.

1) How long did you wait for Photoshop to act properly before you shut it down? Seconds or a few minutes?

2) At any point did you save the file you were working on? If so, we might find a temp. file version of the file you were working on, but I'm not at all certain.

3) I'm assuming you were working on a picture of some sort. Were you using a copy paste function? If so, where were you pasting from? The internet, a camera program, a word document . . . ?

4) What operating system do you use?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:50 AM

Sorry to interupt here, but I use Photoshop everyday, and I get the "Not Responding" in the top bar (where it says Photoshop" and in the task bar) frequently. Usually, I just give it a minute to finish what ever it's doing, and then continue working. It'll say "not responding" all day, but it works fine. Unless it's locked up for more than 5 minutes or so, don't force it to shut down. Just give it a chance to catch up, and then hopefully it'll be fine. You may want to adjust your preference settings to use 85% of your ram, and put your scratch disk on one seperate from windows (another drive is possible, if you have 2 hdd's).

Photoshop does not have a built in save feature. You should always save, and save often, and don't be afraid to save as "picture 1", "picture 2", "picture 3" etc. This will give you the option of going back to a previous picture, if you've messed something up, or made a change and saved it, then you didn't like the change...kind of like a history of saved files so to speak.

Again, sorry for interupting, I just wanted to offer my 2 cents :thumbsup: Please keep working with Orange Blossom, as I believe that she's doing a great job, and might be thinking of somethat that I had missed (she's better with xp then I am!).
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

stevealmighty

Thanks for the added information on using Photoshop. That is a great idea to save the pictures in several different stages. I hadn't thought of that one before.

Lauren-Marie hasn't posted back yet, so we don't even know what system she is using.

Orange Blossom

#7 jayci

jayci

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

I just had frozen Photoshop CS and thought 2 hours of my work were lost as usual; the document wouldn't come back up yet the palettes and layer windows were still sat there frozen. After switching Photoshop to high priority in task manager there was still no luck, yet I refused to quit, after about 15 minutes of minimising and maximising to little effect I used the "Switch To" button on Photoshop in Task Manager and voila the document magically appeared!! This probably won't work in most cases but may still help someone at some point. I guess the newer versions of Photoshop have autosave features?

Thanks,

I just had frozen Photoshop CS and thought 2 hours of my work were lost as usual; the document wouldn't come back up yet the palettes and layer windows were still sat there frozen. After switching Photoshop to high priority in task manager there was still no luck, yet I refused to quit, after about 15 minutes of minimising and maximising to little effect I used the "Switch To" button on Photoshop in Task Manager and voila the document magically appeared!! This probably won't work in most cases but may still help someone at some point. I guess the newer versions of Photoshop have autosave features?

Thanks,

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

I don't think even the newest version of PS has autosave. That could eat up so much disc space, they probably won't even do it. If you're working with a 300MB file, and it were to autosave every 15 minutes even, it would eat up 200GB in a few hundred hours of using the program, which isn't much if you're a high end user. Just remember to save many different copies of your work, especially if you make a major change. Also, ALWAYS save work as something else and keep the originals.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users