Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Videos Audio Playing double

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

Often when I start a video from a variety of sources, One video will lplay but there will be 2 sound tracks, one starting a little after the other.

I wonder if this is due to have more than one video player installed and VLC.

Sometimes I will think a second page has opened up with the same video but when I search I cannot find another page. The problem seems to be coming from a single video playing on one page.

Any suggestions welcome.

Mod Edit:  Moved from Internal Hardware to Linux - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2018 - 03:34 PM.
Moved from AV Apps to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

Go into players setting pick just one as default, pretty sure you are correct one is starting after another.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Go into players setting pick just one as default, pretty sure you are correct one is starting after another.

OldPhil:

thanks for responding.

Can you tell me how to get into these settings?

I just uninstalled XPlayer from the Linux Mint 18.3 Repository. I could not see any setting in the repository for making one application default.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:53 PM

I don't believe that two programs...can access the same set of files...at the same time...in Windows.  Try it.

Louis

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

I don't believe that two programs...can access the same set of files...at the same time...in Windows.  Try it.

Louis

Thanks for this response. I am using Linux Mint 18.3.

Continuing the dialog with OldPhil, I just uninstalled Xplayer and Mplayer.  There was no change.

Then I uninstalled VLC, and presto, I was no longer seeing double videos.

I was having this problem on youtube and on edx online courses.

I SPOKE TOO SOON. As soon as I clicked inside the video screen, the second screen appeared inside the larger one.

So maybe VLC nor any of the video players was the problem.

Attached File  Screenshot_DOUBLE_SCREEN_VIDEO.png   255.34KB   0 downloads

I am wondering if the video controls you get when you right click inside the video screen might do something.

Attached File  Screenshot_RIGHT_CLICK_VIDEO_CONTROLS.png   261.21KB   0 downloads

Here are two screenshots from the frame info controls:

Attached File  Screenshot_FRAME_INFO.png   64.67KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_FRAME_INFO2.png   61.35KB   0 downloads

Edited by Achaemenid, 21 March 2018 - 02:56 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

Too many codecs can cause problems, especially if some of them have identical functions. Best to find those that do your job and eliminate the others.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

Too many codecs can cause problems, especially if some of them have identical functions. Best to find those that do your job and eliminate the others.

Do you think it was a codec that was causing this double video problem?

Eliminating codecs might disable some necessary video I need to see, like action cam video.

Linux Mint now comes with NTFS and EXFAT utilities by default, so I need to keep these because I have older files made with Windows.  I am not sure about the relationship between file systems and video codecs.

Can you explain how we know which codecs to keep?

Edited by Achaemenid, 21 March 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

There is no clear answer to this; unfortunately, Linux is not in my expertise. One suggestion is the simple process of elimination. I have two video players installed on my computer (running Windows7 however), VLC and WMP, and I can use each independently.

If you have two players starting at the same time when you activate only one of them, sounds like a corruption in the .exe file of one of them. Start by disabling one player, use the other, and see if your problem disappears. If it does, disable that one and enable the other and test again. If the problem still does not appear, then try uninstalling one player and reinstalling it. Then test....you get the idea. 

Do your homework and try to find which codecs each uses, then x-copy the others and save them to a different file. See if that helps. And so on.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

I have had this problem when playing videos on some sites and using Firefox, I do not know why but my fix was to use Chromium Browser.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:04 AM

I think I may have found the problem.

I browsed the internet and found a comment about add-ons in FF causing this problem.

I went to my FF add-ons and found an add-on called "HTML EVERYWHERE" installed. 

I disabled it and the problem has gone away. see screenshot.

Attached File  Screenshot HTML EVERYWHERE.png   118.64KB   0 downloads

Thanks to Nick Au, ranchhand, hamluis, and OldPhil for your assistance

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for post back with the resolution, we on BC really appreciate it. Helps us help the next guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users