Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command prompt pop up activities

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

Every once in a while a Command Prompt windows pops up for a second, does something, and goes away. It's too fast to see what it is or get a screen clipping.

Is there a way for me to go back and see what it was?

Thank you.

(It's probably not malware since my AV and anti malware scans always come up clean.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

Some updates of software behave the same. I never encountered any update with such speed, though.

Occasional windows updates perhaps. 

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

No updates were installed on my computer today. And whenever an update is actually being installed I never see a command prompt screen pop up like that.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

What programs have used to scan for malware and adware?

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

What programs have used to scan for malware and adware?

Avast free, Malwarebytes free, Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit, SuperAntiSpyware, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, FRST and JRT.

install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.
CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.
Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.
At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next
post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you
will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

Presumably you mean "Save to text file".

Edited by bcmo, 20 March 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#6 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

This happens to me on Windows 10 Home.I believe its Avast Free updating definitions or a DCOM error. 

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,873 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

Yes, you save it to a text file and copy and paste the three lists into your next post.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

By the way, most of the programs came bundled with the computer.

Attached Files

Edited by bcmo, 20 March 2018 - 07:41 PM.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,873 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

Uninstall these programs:

Candy Crush Soda Saga        1/30/2018

HitmanPro 3.7    SurfRight B.V.    8/2/2017    22.0 MB    3.7.20.286

HP Customer Participation Program 14.0    HP    12/19/2017        14.0

Mozilla Maintenance Service    Mozilla    1/27/2018    432 KB    52.5.2

SUPERAntiSpyware    SUPERAntiSpyware.com    12/19/2017    18.0 MB    6.0.1244

WildTangent Games App    WildTangent    12/19/2017    7.66 MB    4.1.1.8

Disable these Tasks: Use CCleaner by clicking on each item and choosing Disable on the right.

Yes    Task    CCleanerSkipUAC    Piriform Ltd    "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" $(Arg0)
Yes    Task    CreateExplorerShellUnelevatedTask    Microsoft Corporation    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /NOUACCHECK

Yes    Task    OneDrive Standalone Update Task v2    Microsoft Corporation    %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.exe

Look in your browsers' add-ons and disable anything referring to Avast and such as search protectors.

Edited by buddy215, 21 March 2018 - 11:40 AM.

#10 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Okay.

As I use SuperAntiSpyware to scan once in a while, do you consider it a worthless program at this point, which is why it's on your list?

Also, would there be an event (or a kind of event ID) in the Event Viewer that I can look for to see what the Command Prompt pop up was?

Edited by bcmo, 21 March 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,873 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

Super AntiSpyware was once a program recommended by pros but that hasn't been the case for several years now. The cookies it

removes can be blocked from installing on your computer...the third party cookies also known as ad and tracking cookies.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers   Once blocked...run CCleaner to remove existing ones.

Once you have disabled those Tasks and completed uninstalls, reboot and let me know if you still see that command prompt window.

badtoad mentioned Avast....you can try disabling Yes    HKLM:Run    AvastUI.exe    AVAST Software    "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvLaunch.exe" /gui

to see if that is the causing the command prompt popup. You can re-enable if it isn't.

#12 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

badtoad mentioned Avast....you can try disabling Yes    HKLM:Run    AvastUI.exe    AVAST Software    "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvLaunch.exe" /gui

to see if that is the causing the command prompt popup. You can re-enable if it isn't.

Does that stop Avast from running? The command prompt doesn't pop up every time the computer starts up, only sporadically. That being the case, it might take a few weeks to know for sure whether this has solved it. Thus I wouldn't want to have it not running for a few weeks (or more).

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,873 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:07 PM

Yes, it keeps Avast from starting. I was thinking you saw that popup every time you booted up. Since that's not the case

and you may not see that popup through several bootups....then don't disable Avast.

Another choice to test to see if it is avast is to uninstall Avast and enable Windows antivirus...

Download Avast Software Uninstall Utility

How to enable and use the built in Windows Defender for Antivirus - Microsoft Community

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:41 AM

Hi, 

"Super AntiSpyware was once a program recommended by pros but that hasn't been the case for several years now"

I would like to meet these pros you reference, are you sure you are not confused by Spybot!!

SuperAntiSpyware is a perfectly safe free malware util, it works well, and is superior in modern code to malwarebytes, ( a disaster) available on windows ten, we use it on Millions of sensitive gov't computers, what evidence do you present for your comments?

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,873 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:58 AM

jenae....here is just one review: SuperAntiSpyware Professional 6.0 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

I can say that I often see SAS installed on computers that have adware and malware. Malwarebytes finds and removes a lot

of that. If you have more comments/ questions about a security program then please post in the Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software Forum - BleepingComputer.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users