Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard doesn't work and cord feels very hot!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:05 AM

So on my old PC, it shut down and it wouldn't turn back on.  There was no power.  I thought it was the power supply at first.

Then I found out it had something to do with my keyboard.  If I just moved the keyboard cord around it would turn on the computer lol.

Then when it was on, the keyboard itself wouldn't work but everything else does.  I unplugged the keyboard and when I felt the cord,

it was really hot...i've never felt a keyboard cord to get this hot.

Does anyone know what happened to my keyboard and why the cord became so hot?  And why was the keyboard cord able to power on and off my computer but the power button itself couldn't power on my computer ?

weird

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

sounds like it's shorting out.... get a new kb. I've seen Logitech boards on sale for less than $10.

Edited by Joe C, 20 March 2018 - 07:18 AM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

A keyboard cable shouldn't get hot at all, as said it is faulty, replace the keyboard.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

There may be something going on inside the power supply.  With most machines no having power keys on the keyboard, there is always a voltage going to the keyboard and that could be the fault.

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:41 AM

thanks for the replies.  Yes, I won't rule out the ps just yet but I did replace the keyboard and it works fine now.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users