Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't login in Windows10 PC with correct password

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cazinsk

cazinsk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:16 AM

It is old PC upgraded from Windows 7 and it has not been used for a while. When I power on the computer, this is a Windows update popping up. It took a while to complete the process but after reboot, no password was no longer accepted by the computer. No response even no error message. How to remove or recover the password under this circumstances?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cakerty

Cakerty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:55 AM

It is old PC upgraded from Windows 7 and it has not been used for a while. When I power on the computer, this is a Windows update popping up. It took a while to complete the process but after reboot, no password was no longer accepted by the computer. No response even no error message. How to remove or recover the password under this circumstances?

You may find it necessary to enable the hidden Administrator's account in order to gain access to your computer.  or if you have a password reset disk, use it to reset your password. Or try some windows password reset tools like tnpassword, ophcrack Passmoz and more...

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

Since the computer wasn't in use for a while please let us know the following

--- Approximately how long is a while: One month, one year ... ?

--- Were there issues on using the computer when it was in use?

--- Was the computer shut down and you just turned it on?

--- Did the password work when you first turned it back on?

--- On the "no password was no longer accepted by the computer" after restarting, it sounds like different passwords were being attempted: is that the case?

--- Is your user account a Microsoft account or a local Administrator account?

--- Is there another user account other than the one you are trying to log-in with?

#4 cazinsk

cazinsk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:01 AM

Since the computer wasn't in use for a while please let us know the following

--- Approximately how long is a while: One month, one year ... ?

--- Were there issues on using the computer when it was in use?

--- Was the computer shut down and you just turned it on?

--- Did the password work when you first turned it back on?

--- On the "no password was no longer accepted by the computer" after restarting, it sounds like different passwords were being attempted: is that the case?

--- Is your user account a Microsoft account or a local Administrator account?

--- Is there another user account other than the one you are trying to log-in with?

---2 months
--- no such an issue when it was in use
--- it is stuck on login screen
--- doesn't work
---- local account
--- just one admin and guest account

#5 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

How to Use the Advanced Startup Options to Fix Your Windows 8 or 10 PC

https://www.howtogeek.com/131916/how-to-use-the-advanced-startup-options-to-fix-your-windows-8-computer/    System Restore

Edited by RokTV, 23 March 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

If RokTV's recommendations don't work check this out

Reset a Windows 10 password https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a-windows-10-password/ 

@RokTV, the 1st link https://www.howtogeek.com/131916/how-to-use-the-advanced-startup-options-to-fix-your-windows-8-computer/ looks fine

The 2nd link returns 404 page not found. It does include Click here to continue, but I don't know if that's a trustworthy choice to follow through with.

#7 Cakerty

Cakerty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

In the Windows 7 Pro versions I'm looking at, there are no "advanced startup" options or buttons to check or click on anywhere. Is there any way to reset windows 7 login password without disk? 

#8 cazinsk

cazinsk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will look into it and give a try.

#9 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:39 PM

In the Windows 7 Pro versions I'm looking at, there are no "advanced startup" options or buttons to check or click on anywhere. Is there any way to reset windows 7 login password without disk? 

When you are starting the computer, press the esc key. It might be the F11 key. 

If neither of those 2 keys works for you, google to find the key for your particular computer.

Then on my computer I have to first select Restore System. It might be different for you, it varies from one computer to another.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

We need more information to determine if your unknown password situation can be rectified.

--- I have done some but there isn't a one size fits all.
--- And there are times there isn't a solution based on the situation at hand.

Do you have data to save? If not inquire on how to do that.
--- I know how to do that if a data recovery process has been made available before a system crashes or inaccessible but I do not know how to do that in a situation like yours.

You have an old PC that was originally Windows 7 but has been upgraded to Windows 10.
--- Now you cannot log-in because your local admin user account password doesn't work.
--- You also have a Guest account: are you able to use it?
--- What Windows 10 OS system do you have, Home or Pro? And is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
--- On the computer itself, seeing it's an older PC, is it 32-bit or 64-bit capable?
--- If your HDD still has a recovery partition for Windows 7, would you be willing to go back to Windows 7 and then get back to Windows 10 once Windows 7 is up and running ok?

Go to another Windows 10 computer that has the same bittedness as yours
--- Create a USB Recovery drive w/o including system files.
--- Create a System Recovery DVD disc in case it could come in handy.
--- Create a DVD OR USB Windows 10 install media via Media Creation Tool w/o including system files.

Some recommended options to consider have been posted are

How to use the advanced startup options to fix your Windows 8 or 10 PC
https://www.howtogeek.com/131916/how-to-use-the-advanced-startup-options-to-fix-your-windows-8-computer/
--- Looks good but you will still need to get through the unknown password.

Reset a Windows 10 password https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a-windows-10-password/
--- Have you tried it yet?

Edited by cmptrgy, 27 March 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

If a person is locked out of a computer with a Microsoft only password or a local password the computer can be access through the Hidden Administrator Account or by resetting the local account password. I always prefer working through the Hidden Administrator account for accessing any local account. Lazesoft cannot reset the Microsoft Account Password. 

If a person has access to another computer the easiest way to reset the local password or enabling the Hidden Administrator password is by using Lazesoft's Security Suite Home version which is free. The program is installed and used to create a bootable CD or USB flash drive. Boot the CD/USB and it's a matter of a couple of clicks with the mouse.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-recover-administrator-password.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ4_QrlkmAI

#12 Ginnea11

Ginnea11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:28 AM

If a person is locked out of a computer with a Microsoft only password or a local password the computer can be access through the Hidden Administrator Account or by resetting the local account password. I always prefer working through the Hidden Administrator account for accessing any local account. Lazesoft cannot reset the Microsoft Account Password. 

If a person has access to another computer the easiest way to reset the local password or enabling the Hidden Administrator password is by using Lazesoft's Security Suite Home version which is free. The program is installed and used to create a bootable CD or USB flash drive. Boot the CD/USB and it's a matter of a couple of clicks with the mouse.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

https://www.passmoz.com/reset-windows-10-password.html

In fact, you can reset  Windows Password using Default Administrator Account:

This Windows 7 password reset trick will only help if you have enabled the admin account on your computer. Here's how:

1. First of all, start Windows 7 in safe mode by pressing F8 key while system boot.

2. Select Safe Mode with command prompt From the Advanced Boot Options and hit the Enter key.
3. the administrator account and then open command prompt.
4. Once command prompt is opened, enter “net user Mosoh 123456” then press Enter key.
5. You will see a message saying “The command completed successfully”.
6. Finally reboot your Windows 7 system and then you can login with the username as Mosoh and password 123456. That's it.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

"This Windows 7 password reset trick will only help if you have enabled the admin account on your computer."

I believe the OP is on Windows 10.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

I just used JohnC_21's recommendation in post #10: I used both procedures: reset password & the Hidden Administrator account.

--- No problems even for a newbie.
cazinsk, if you are still interested, go for it.

Edited by cmptrgy, 01 April 2018 - 09:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users