Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is stuttering then freezes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:11 AM

G'day
My computer has been freezing randomly over the last week but it seems to have gotten a lot worse these past couple of days. What happens is I boot windows Log in and use my computer as normal then anywhere from 2 minutes to hours later my display and audio stutters for ~3 seconds then my computer will freeze. Temperatures don't rise and cpu/gpu/ram usage doesn't spike in task manager before the freeze.

I have tried swapping graphics cards, ran windows memory diagnostic, ran seatools to check ssd and hdd and no problems there.
I haven't once occurred a freeze in safe mode so that might rule out some problems. I tried doing a selective startup, disabling all startup programs and non essential services in msconfig.exe but the computer still freezes. I've tried doing a system restore from safe mode but it fails.

All in all the freezing seems really random (and frustrating) so I thought I'd come here for some help.
Thanks for the help!

Specs:
i7 4770k
Asus z97 pro

Amd r9 290
Gskill ares ddr3 1600
Seagate 2tb
Crucial m500 ssd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jk545

jk545

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:35 AM

Hi,

Have you tried reinstalling the Windows? Please save your important files in an external hard disk or on your 2TB HDD and try reinstalling your OS. After installing your OS, make sure you update Windows up to date. 
1. There might have been any previous updates that had not installed properly.

2. The recent windows updates have fixed a lot of such issues.
3. It is unlikely to be the problem of hardware.
4. Also do not take backup of the current installation and reinstall it. Try fresh installation on your SSD.

If you have tried all the above, let me know.

#3 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:41 AM

I reinstalled windows, but while backing up my apps and settings. Didn't fix the freezing. Do I have any other options then doing a fresh install? I was kinda hoping its a last resort

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

A fresh install is a last resort. Not sure why the poster suggested it first. Let's start by getting some information that might help fin the problems. Please run and post the Sysnative and Speccy reports here. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/.

#5 jk545

jk545

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

Trr1ppy,

Running Windows in safe mode creates no issues for you I suppose.

Running Windows in safe mode does the following: (from https://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm)

• Safe Mode does not run the autoexec.bat or config.sys files.
  • Most device drivers are not loaded. A device driver is the software that Windows uses to interact with a piece of hardware, such as a printer or scanner.
  • Instead of the normal graphics device driver, Safe Mode uses standard VGA graphics mode. This mode is supported by all Windows-compatible video cards.
  • Himem.sys, which is normally loaded as part of the config.sys script, is loaded with the /testmem:on switch. This switch tells the computer to test the extended memory before continuing.
  • Safe Mode checks the msdos.sys file for information on where to find the rest of the Windows files. If it finds the files, it proceeds to load Windows in Safe Mode with the command win /d:m. If it does not find the Windows files, it will run command.com to bring up a C: prompt.
  • Windows boots using a batch file called system.cb instead of the standard system.ini file. This file loads the Virtual Device Drivers (VxDs) that Windows uses to communicate with the standard parts of the computer.
  • Windows now loads the regular system.ini file plus win.ini and Registry settings. It skips the [Boot] (except for the shell and device lines)  and [386Enh] sections of system.ini and does not load or run any programs listed in win.ini.

Try installing CCleaner and do the registry fix. If it helps, good. If not, there might be some issues in the extended memory compatibility. How many GB of RAM do you use?

#6 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:27 AM

Sysnative didn't automatically create the zip file but I think I got all the files you need

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/srbAlD4yTK8jgp0aS4XrC6L

Attached Files

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

It looks like your computer may be struggling to install drivers. I'd like you to try the following steps and see if we can't fix this problem.

1. Type cmd in the search box from Start. Then right-click on Command Prompt to select Run as administrator.
  2. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. Wait for the scanning till 100% complete.
  3. Type the following commands andpress Enter after each.
  4. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth.
  5. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  6. Reboot your Windows 10 and run your game software to see if it works.
  7. Update your drivers at the wesite of the motherboard manufacturer or the computer manufacturer.

#8 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:47 AM

I ran sfc and DISM, there was no integrity violations or corruption and the restore completed successfully.
Updating mobo drivers didn't stop the freezing either.

I've worked out that I don't freeze if I disable all services from Msconfig.
Also there's an error in system event viewer that appears whenever I freeze.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 

{22279AF5-03AE-4CAF-989D-2530918B2F1C}

and APPID 

{0773CCD6-59A2-4D26-B235-19247767E645}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

1 more thing, enabling a service before rebooting makes my computer freeze almost instantly not sure if its important just thought I'd mention it

Edited by Trr1ppy, 22 March 2018 - 07:21 AM.

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

CLSID 

{22279AF5-03AE-4CAF-989D-2530918B2F1C}

and APPID 

{0773CCD6-59A2-4D26-B235-19247767E645}

This refers to you realtech audio drivers. Try installing it again. If it doesn't install, try this:

Let's try this.

• Go to Control Panel
  • click on Device Manager
  • Then on your Realtech adapter
  • right click and choose Update Driver
  • click Browse my computer for driver software
  • Now click Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer

You should find the driver you downloaded. Click on it and then Next. This should properly install the driver.

#10 Trr1ppy

Trr1ppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

Uninstalled and reinstalled realtek drivers, didnt stop the freezing unfortunately.
The same error is still there and I should mention there is two other suspect error's in event viewer;

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 

{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}

and APPID 

{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

to the user TRR1PPC\Trr1ppy SID (S-1-5-21-305267651-1307731965-2743244037-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 

{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}

and APPID 

{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users