Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

two computers for one printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Both computers have windows 10. 

Printer is Canon MX922

I know a reasonable amount of computer knowledge but not a whole lot.

This is my situation - 

I work in an old multi-room/office building, the small office I work in has access to the internet through Ethernet cables into the walls

Networking help is scarce at best (I'm not sure if there are networking capabilities with this building's setup).

My office is as such;

One computer is plugged in to the printer.  The cable has a USB end and a traditional printer plug (squarish) on the other end.

The printer can only receive one plug.

So this creates a problem as the other computer cannot be plugged into the printer, and I want to be able to print from either computer to this one printer.

Can a hub be useful here?  If I plug the two computers into a hub by USB and plug in the USB end of the printer cable, will both computers now see/print to the printer? 

If not, how would you go about solving this problem?

Thank you so much for your help with this, greatly appreciate it.

Marilyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

This printer does have wireless, so you might be able to do that if your office has wireless router

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8gzyZyRU18

You might find a better guide in the manual for your specific model

Edited by Joe C, 19 March 2018 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

This printer can also connect to an ethernet cable and be networked to other pc's in that way too. I do not think a usb hub will work in that manner for printing. If you do not know about the buildings network, does your office use any IT staff to connect this to a network for you?

Edited by Joe C, 19 March 2018 - 08:18 PM.

#4 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

Thank you for your reply Joe, 

Just a few more questions.. I hope

Regarding your first reply, the office does not have a router, each of the 2 computers are plugged into an Ethernet plug in the wall.

Are you suggesting to get a router, and plug it into the ethernet plug in the wall, then plug the computers into the router?

For your second reply, not really sure what you mean...  are you saying here to also plug the printer into the router.

The office only has 2 ethernet  plugs, each one being occupied by a computer.

I considered getting a router and plugging it into one of the ethernet plugs, but will have to learn about setting up a router to see the computers/printer  (which I am not even sure if that is a correct statement), which I never had to do.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Marilyn

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

Yes... it looks like the printer does have ethernet connection, as far as installing a router, (you might be able to use a hub too) Is this network part of your employers building? If it is, you need to ask because this could affect the business's network security

#6 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

All I can say is the whole building which has many different offices for different companies has 2 Ethernet plugs in my office.  I have no idea as to what kind of network system the building has.  Unfortunately, any IT help is nonexistent.  I would imagine that the building network is set up in such a way as to isolate the computers from one company away from another company's computer system - at least I would hope so.

I think at this point I will try a hub.  If this doesn't work I will consider getting a router and see what happens with that.  I'll let you know how the hub works when I get a chance to hook it up.

Thanks again, very much appreciate your help.

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

Are you networked with the other pc in your office now?

If so, there is an option to just use your pc as the print server for the other pc, and you won't need to get anything

Edited by Joe C, 22 March 2018 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users