Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

install Win 7 ultimate on a ThinkPad W550s

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BendersGirl

BendersGirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

Hello - I am trying to do a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate on a ThinkPad W550s.  It originally came with Win10 on an SSD  but the drive was so full of malware rootkits and viruses that I dared not use it. I would clean it and most would come right back. So I wiped the entire drive hoping to do a clean install. The first error message I got was that the OS could not be installed on a GPT . So I decided to install Win 7 Ultimate, which is what I originally intended for the drive. That gave an error saying that the drivers for the USB DVD drive were missing!

Can anyone give me step by step instructions for installing Windows 7 Ultimate X64 on this W550s?

Thanks,

BG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Make sure SecureBoot is disabled on the Thinkpad in the UEFI settings if the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10. Also make sure Quickboot/Fastboot is disabled if you have that setting and UEFI mode is enabled. Legacy mode is not to be enabled. It may be called OS Optimized Defaults. This should be enabled. See this link. It says that OS Optimized Defaults need to be disabled for Windows 7 but this is not true for Windows 7 64bit systems which can boot from UEFI. 

Boot the Windows 7 DVD. At the screen asking for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X           Where X is the number associated with the drive you will be installing to. On a single drive desktop this will be 0

clean                       Wipes the drive of all current partitions. Make sure you select the correct drive letter.

convert gpt             Initializes the drive as GPT in order to boot on a UEFI computer.

exit

exit

Continue with the Install. Select Custom Install. You should see a your SSD as unallocated. Click next and Windows will automatically partition and format the drive.

If the DVD fails there is a way to create a USB flash drive that can boot from UEFI. 

#3 BendersGirl

BendersGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for a speedy response, JohnC_21

I will try it tonite and post back the results.

#4 BendersGirl

BendersGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

THANK YOU very much indeed, JohnC_21 - that worked like a dream. I now have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed on my W550s and we are both very, very happy.

I would like to add that I had to go into BIOS and disable USB 3.0 and then everything installed beautifully. I hope others facing the "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" error message"

will take note of this fix!!

Once again, thanks very much indeed - you are my hero!!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

Your Welcome, and glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the update. Did you reenable your USB ports? You will need a driver off the computer's support site for USB 3.

#6 BendersGirl

BendersGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

Yes, and I had all of my drivers downloaded head of time on a flash drive. So nice!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Just a FYI. You can reinstall Windows 10 as clean install at anytime if you upgraded during the free period as the license is digital and stored on Microsoft Servers tied to your hardware ID. Once installed Windows 10 will activate once online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users