Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 freezes even after reformat - but not in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sui42

Sui42

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hi there! Hope you're all well.

So yeah, as the title states:

• Windows 10 Freezes about 1 minute after booting. It happens slowly; programs start up fine within the first 20 seconds, then it all grinds to a halt. If I leave it long enough it can say 'windows explorer has crashed' or even just cut to a black screen. It can also happen if I don't login immediately.
  • It is, however, completely fine in safe mode with networking (typing this from the comp atm).
  • I reformatted the computer as soon as this started happening. It was fine for a few hours, then started again.
  • I've tried booting with just one stick of RAM (tried each one), and I also took out the GPU, but the problem persists without these components.
  • I tried a windows resource protection scan - no integrity violations. I also tried checking the Event Viewer but I couldn't see any errors in either System or Applications. I also watched the task manager while this was happening - there were no crazy spikes in CPU or Memory usage or anything. Seemed normal.
  • I reformatted my comp a couple of months ago becuase I got a virus. Around the same time, I booted the comp up and it said my BIOS was corrupted - but it automattically restored a previous version and I haven't had the same problem since.
  • Around the same time (2 months ago) I installed a new SSD boot drive.

I've tried searching on google for similar threads pretty extensively, but while I can find some people with similar problems, they always seem to come up with a solution that doesn't apply to me, or the thread trails off...

I'd be super greatful if anyone could lend some insight into this!

SPECS:

Intel i5-4670K = CPU
Gigabyte Z87-D3HP = mobo
Samsung SSD 850 Evo = boot drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 = GPU
Corsair RM750 = PSU

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

Does the computer freeze when doing a clean boot?

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

Run the computer for awhile in clean boot. If it runs without freezing then there is a conflict between services or startup items. Enable a few at a time and reboot until a freeze. This would narrow down what is causing the problem.

#3 Sui42

Sui42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:59 AM

ugh THANKS SO MUCH this was a really helpful reply!

The computer boots fine with a clean boot. Crucially, it also works fine with just the graphics drivers, which is useful.

I don't have time to comb through and see what the actual source of the problem is right now -  but thankfully I can actually use my comp to work today (yesterday I was having to render animations on my laptop, which took about 4 times as long...)

I had kind of presumed the problem was a hardware defect, because the same problem happened both before and after a clean reformat. But I guess I must have reinstalled the program that was causing the problem? Perhaps it conflicts with a driver or a piece of hardware or something?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

If you can operate normally using a clean boot then you are correct, there is a service or startup item that conflicts. You will need to narrow down which it could be. It may even be your Security Suite.

Another program that can help but takes a bit of a learning curve is process explorer. You could open it in normal mode and when the computer freezes look for a process that is using a lot of CPU.

When you have some time:

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson2/

Another tool you can use is the Resource Monitor in Windows. In Resource Monitor click on the CPU tab. In the Processes pane look for a process that is consuming a lot of CPU and the Description. Check the box next to the process and in the Services pane you can see the service that is causing the CPU load.

#5 Sui42

Sui42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

Okay, well I had some time this evening so did a few things to make sure. I updated / flashed by BIOS and upated literally every driver I could think of. I then slowly booted with more startup things turned on - checking Resource Manager - but actually, the problem seems to be fixed (although for some reason it wouldn't allow me to re-enable 360 Total Security. I use Malwarebytes as well so I'm not that fussed).

But, it's made me reconsider how many things I allow to boot up with my PC anyway. I've trimmed the start-up applications to the bare minimum, in the hope to avoid anything like this happening again.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by Sui42, 20 March 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for the update. You can always uninstall 360 Total Security and reinstall. If you are using the paid version of Malwarebytes then I would not recommend using 360. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users