Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Purchase Advice - 2 Computers...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eman321

Eman321

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Hi - I'm looking at 2 pc's and have not kept up with my knowledge of systems.  Looking for some advice.

A few things:  I'm not a gamer.  PC use will be for business and home use.  I also do some photo editing as a (serious) hobby.

PC 1 - Dell XPS 8910 (silver) - $670

i7 - 6700  - 1 x 16gb RAM (2133) DDR4

1 TB HDD 7200

AMD 560 2gb

Wifi

MS Windows Pro 64

(note: to this system, I'd add my own SSD probably M.2 ~ $125)

PC 2 - Dell XPS 8930 (Black) ~ $810

i5 -8400 - 2 x 8gb Ram (2666) DDR4

256gb SSD Sata Drive / 1Tb HDD 7200

Integrated Graphics

Wifi

MS Windows Home 64

(note: to this system, I'd add a graphics card when prices come down)

(note2: from what I understand, photo editing software is less dependent on GPU and more on RAM and Processor)

So the question comes down to i7 6th generation vs i5 8th generation with some very slight differences in other components.  Benchmarks show that the two processors are pretty close (4 core with Hyper Threads vs 6 Core without). 

At the end of the day, it is probably a wash and for my use, I'm probably overthinking this decision.   Any reason I shouldn't go with the newer i5?  Am I missing anything obvious? 

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:27 PM

I would go for the Dell XPS 8910

Its cheaper here and offers good performance for its price point.

Heck that price is a steal, go for it.

Sure the i5 -8400 is a kaby lake and the i7 - 6700 is a skylake (a generation behind) but that wont matter much for your needs.

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 March 2018 - 10:32 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Eman321

Eman321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

Thanks.  Yes, my thoughts too and seems like a good deal.  One person mentioned that the other with the faster and dual channel RAM would have some advantages.  I think both are good enough for my needs.

#4 STS-1

STS-1

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:10 AM

If you are doing serious photo editing, you would also want to max out the ram for your system ( we do 16 GB on the ones we sell for gaming or any kind of editing) or consider a Mac ( It pains me to say that , but that is one area where macs rule the playground is in any type of video or picture editing)

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

If you are doing serious photo editing, you would also want to max out the ram for your system ( we do 16 GB on the ones we sell for gaming or any kind of editing) or consider a Mac ( It pains me to say that , but that is one area where macs rule the playground is in any type of video or picture editing)

Bullcrap, photo and video editing can be done just as well on a PC.

Get a mac and the hardware will be obsolete in 10 seconds, build a media editing PC it will last for years if you have the right hardware.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

Simple photo-editing does not require a powerhouse machine. I am assuming that you like to slightly enhance or do simple changes (such as remove red-eye or the zit on your son's face in your vacation picture)....that kind of thing. In fact, you probably will be fine with integrated video on the mainboard. This does not include video editing...that is a whole different situation entirely.

If you use a program that is light on resources, such as Gimp, the computer will run fine. If you use something like Photoshop, it may slow a bit.

I like the XPS8910 and add your own SSD drive-good thinking on that. As far as performance, I don't think you will notice any difference between the two. 16gig of RAM is plenty for what you want to do. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Eman321

Eman321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

Correct, I'll be doing editing with Lightroom and similar software.  LR can be resourse intensive but I have some options there and it will be for less than 50% of my computer use.  Thanks for the comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users