Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop abruptly turns completely off seemingly at random

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hello,  I hope this is an ok place to ask this even though it's not a BSOD .. Sorry this is new to me ..
 I've been having issue with my laptop randomly shutting off. 

There is NEVER any form of error screen, and when it turns off it's not gradual (like how when you actually shut down computer it does it slowly and you can hear it gradually turn off? This is more just an abrupt 'pew', kind of like if you quickly unplug the power source of a desktop computer)  it just  entirely turn off and the screen goes black in about half a second. 

I have noticed some things about this issue that I thought it might help determine what exactly is causing the problem if I explain more. Sorry if slightly longer than usual posts .. I will try to format to be easy to read (there are only 6 things). Here's some extra details for context on what it might have to do with : 

(1) ---   When I first searched about this, many results mentioned overheating,  but I don't think this has to do with overheating. It pretty much only ever happens when I'm not really doing anything. Just browsing the internet or writing in a text editor or etc. I actually have never had it once ever shut off like this when playing a game or editing a video, or any of the times my computer is actually significantly hotter (from the temperatures I've checked/compared)

(2) ---   I am also never doing the same exact thing when it happens so is hard for me to replicate or figure what it would be. Sometimes it won't happen for weeks at a time, even usually a full month apart*, and other times it'll be twice within the same month (though always many days apart). There is seemingly zero connection between what I'm doing at the time, it's completely random.  Main reason I'm writing of it now is because it seems to be occurring more recently. I think it's been twice this week, which is very unusual since it's usually so far apart I cant even remember the last time it happened, and I think I heard it's bad for your computer to have it turn off like that without being properly shut down so I don't want it to get damage
(*Though I've only been having this issue for perhaps 4 months now, so it has not happened many times, maybe 8 total..) 

(3) ---  I can always turn it back on immediately after. It basically just start up like 100% normal after the abrupt quit. However, it IS correlated with whether it's plugged in or not so I wonder if maybe it's battery issue .. Legit as soon as it shuts off, as long as I plug it in, it will turn right back on not even 3 seconds later. I've tested this and if I try to turn it back on without plugging it into a power source, it starts up for half a second and then goes off immediately. Wont come back on until plugged in.

(4) ---   But also, the battery notifications seem to work fine. I still am receiving 'your battery is low please plug in your computer' pop up when battery is low. It's not as if that function just completely isn't working. It's like 95% of the time it notifies me perfectly fine but maybe 5% of the time it just shuts off? I don't know anything about computers so I am not sure haha

(5) ---  Once it's on again and I check battery level (it only takes about 10 seconds from pressing power button to entering password and being at the desktop, so it's not like it has that much time to charge),  it always say something like 30 - 40%...  Which it seems like if it was really turning off  due to battery and have to be plugged in due to being so low, it would say 8% or %10 or something? If it's really still at 30% then it should never have shut off in the first place. There are plenty of times where the battery is even under 30% and the computer doesn't shut off, works fine and gives me the low battery notification at like 15% like normal. So I don't know if the reading is just wrong (though it seems to be accurate most of the time), or if my computer is for some reason occasionally turning off at  40% battery and wont come back on unless the charger is plugged in for some reason? 

(6) --- The only other thing I notice is, it may happen more often when I'm opening a new program??? Sometimes a new tab on the browser... It's never the same program or website and varies wildly, and I'm not entirely sure due to how random and sudden the shut off is, but I faintly recall this happening once right as I had clicked on an art program to open it,  once opening a music program, and I think once opening a new tab..  Not sure if there could be some way it could be related to opening things though, maybe it's just random unconnected thing, but I included this just in case it's relevant. 

-

Again sorry this isn't really reliable, I can not replicate the issue or give much definite information since it happens so random and rarely, I'm not sure what's causing this when everything usually works fine. 

And I apologize if this is too much information,  I only wanted to be as specific as possible in case that helps narrow the issue down or something. Let me know if you need any other information. Thank you  if anyone responds!  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:50 PM

In the stickies is a link to the information we need to help you. Here is the link. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

#3 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:18 PM

Oh, sorry sorry! I was un sure if that applied to me or not, okay! Sorry for leaving that out .

If it is not a BSOD, then do I still need to do the Sysnsative  ? It seems like it reference that (saying it is a bsod collection app) , so I have not done it because I would have to download all new things (I already have speccy on my computer so that one is more easy, and currently I have limited time to reply to this) , but let me know if it is necessary and I will absolutely do it as well !!  

Here is the other one - 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nCMdcpzZ1AXYGNTtC8j7xG7

but let me know if that does not work, sorry I am not used to doing these, I hope it sends okay!

Thanks for your response 

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:21 PM

I'll take a look, we also need the Sysnative report. It's the most important of them all really.

#5 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:56 PM

Okay, sorry about that then! I will include the sysnative thing now 

I think it has worked okay so I will try to attach file but let me know it if it is not right or something...  I don't send files very much so am kind of still new to it. 

Attached Files

#6 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

Hello, sorry I don't know if it is okay to add update.. 

But I wanted to say, this same issue actually happened just now to me only a few moments ago, and I notice that it did happen right as I was opening something (new tab to check weather before sleep) .. I still have no idea how that could be related to the battery issues or cause the computer turning off, but this is another instance of the connection to this occurring as I initiate new things (whether it be starting program or opening browser tabs)  like I mentioned.
Unfortunately it still isn't predictable at all since I open new programs and tabs all the time without the computer ever turning off, but it does still seem at least that when this particular rare issue occur it seems to be always during that for whatever reason...

Anyway..  Sorry if this isn't okay to reply yet.. It is just that I was paying more attention for the issue this time so I wanted to note that I did observe the same connection again,  if maybe that helps, since last time I bring it up I was more uncertain about it due to the last occurrence of the issue not being in very recent memory. Now I have noticed it more clearly however, if it even makes a difference  (still unsure how it would be related, etc.)

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

You can and should update us anytime anything you feel might be important happens. Your last comment could mean a problem with your browser so it was definately helpful. I'm going to look at the Sysnative report now.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:05 AM

There were no DMP files created. There wasn't much in the event viewer to pinpoint a cause. There was mention of problems with the time. This could mean you have a bad CMOS battery. On a desk top this is an easy inexpensive fix. I'm sure it is on a laptop as well but you'll need someone else to guide you as I've never changed one. Your laptop manufacture should have the part number and it's just like a watch battery that are available at Best Buy, maybe even Walmart. There were also indications you might have some DNS issues which would be networking which again isn't my are of experience. I don't think it should be too hard to get you up and running again. Good luck.

#9 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:00 AM

This happened again today actually but this time I was not actively using the computer so that is the first time it has ever occurred that way which is  very weird. This time when I turn it back on it was 18% battery.. It was the same where it had to be plugged in in order to turn on again and everything come on and work fine afterward. 

1. So you are saying the cmos battery is maybe causing the main problem? Or just that it is a secondary issue you notice?  Would I just need to get a 'cmos battery' and look up tutorial for how to put a new one into the computer, then it may fix the computer shutting off?? Sorry to over clarify, I just want to confirm to be very sure before going and doing anything since I guess it is always a risk, even if it's simple to fix I am always anxious haha..

2. Also, could it have anything to do with settings or other stuff about the computer?
I did change the battery settings a few weeks ago because of a previous issue (the computer would hibernate at low battery instead of showing me a notification.. Again, very non-predictably and randomly.. though I would much rather it do that than shut all the way off like it is now..). But all I changed was that it would give me a notification on a higher level (low battery pop up occurring at 15% instead of 10%) and didn't mess with anything else..  One time the battery icon disappeared entirely and I had to restart some process or something to get it back..  Though my current issue had happened a few times before I did either of those thing so it's probably not that.. But I thought I would check in case..  

I only ask about other possibilities because the computer is fairly new , only a few month over a year and a half old (but I think it is still not covered under the free repair thing or warranty, I don't know if I even ever signed up for one), so it seem odd for any of the parts or batteries to totally be bad now after so recent of time..  But you all know a lot more than I do haha, so I guess if I need to get a new thing I can try. I would rather replace a small thing than hurt my computer by having it turn off too much in a bad way and make something worse..  

3. Oh, lastly, is it bad to keep the laptop plugged in often? I usually try to let it charge and uncharge all the way naturally and don't keep it at 100% battery all the time, but due to this issue I've start to be afraid to let the level go too low, since I fear maybe it will be one of the times that no low battery notification pops up and the whole computer just turn off.. I've been only letting it get to 30% before I plug it in mostly, never all the way down low.. but also I don't want to cause harm by doing that.. I had assumed probably having the computer abruptly turn off without proper shut down is worse than leaving it plugged in too much ?? I don't know I just don't want to hurt anything and I have heard you shouldn't leave it plugged in too much or that you need to let it uncharge sometime 

Sorry about all the question, Thank you so much for helping me I hope you are having a great day, you are doing a lot of good in the world helping out strangers and all of that ! 

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

The CMOS battery isn't likely to be causing your main issues. Since you made changes to the settings, try going to the BIOS and resetting everything to default values.

#11 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

Okay, thank you. I reset the battery setting in the settings menu but I did not do anything with a bios. Once I have the time later today I will look up how to do this bios thing and do that... 

One other question because I do not know the rules here:  if the nature of my problem has changed, do I edit the original post above, or do I start a new one?? 

It occurring when I open new things no longer applies, now it just shut off any time at low battery. And previously I said  I was still getting low battery pop up just fine, but that is no longer the case. It just shuts completely down around 15 - 18% battery, low battery notifications have stop entirely and battery level readings seem wrong sometime. 

Does this mean I should edit the post to reflect changes?? (And if I do, am I allowed to delete old text? Or do I have to keep it all as past record and simply add  new update at the top/bottom?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users