Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Management shows two "D" partitions: how to make into just one?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDohe

JohnDohe

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

Windows 7 Pro, ASUS B85M-E motherboard, 16GB RAM, one 256GB SSD program drive and one 1-TB HDD data drive.

Windows explorer shows a single D drive of about 900GB total.

Disk Management shows Disk-1 with total 931.39GB and the following:

one 800MB partition 

one smaller 300MB partition

two "D" partitions: first is 434.33GB and followed by 435.95GB

lastly a 60.03GB partition

1. Do I really need all three, small, partitions? 

If not, how to have just a single partition on the HDD "D" drive?

2. How to merge these two D partitions into a single partition?

I have already backed up the entire drive to a flash.

Thanks!

Edited by JohnDohe, 19 March 2018 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

I'm not sure how it's possible Windows would give the same drive letter for two different partitions on the same disk. Please provide a screenshot of Disk Management. 

#3 JohnDohe

JohnDohe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Ok, I attached a screenshot of Disk Management showing

what I'm describing.

:thumbup2:

#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

their no screenshot attached.

#5 JohnDohe

JohnDohe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

Now it is!

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

In the Upper Pane you can see there is one D: with a capacity of 870.28GB. In the lower pane you have two partitions labeled D: which are approx half of 870.28. 

The reason for this is because Disk 1 is Dynamic and you are spanning volumes. Two partitions acting as one partition. Why you have a Dynamic Disk like this I don't understand. This is not an optimal partition structure. In order to have one D: the best option would be to backup all the data on D: and then wipe Disk 1. Partition and format as a Basic Disk. 

Disk 1 has a 60GB Recovery Partition. I'm not sure what that is other than a factory reset partition but that is bigger than any I have seen. The 800MB and 300MB partitions are not necessary as far as I can tell.

I would disconnect Disk 1 from the power and data. Then boot to see if it affects your boot. If not then I would connect Disk 1 again, backup the data on D: and wipe the drive. When detaching the drive make sure to pull the power and ground yourself on bare metal of the case.

See the below link. The OP has a disk similar to yours. Dynamic with two G: volumes that are spanned.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5afcaae2-a0ec-4950-9e96-0e6284fab70e/merge-simple-volume-on-dynamic-disk?forum=w7itprogeneral

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 March 2018 - 04:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users