Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to connect to internet with installed windows XP vm ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 omartf

omartf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

having installed Windows XP virtual machine on Windows 10 pc I find that I can connect to MSN

outlook .com but not to the internet with IE explorer

my pc is cable connected to broadband internet.

please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

That depends on if you are using VMware, VirtualBox or some other hypervisor to host the VM.

You will want to check the VM settings in the hypervisor to see what sort of network connection it has. It sounds as if you have configured your VM with host-only networking -- it can communicate with the host computer running Windows 10, but nothing else.

Although I'm not clear on how you could connect to outlook.com, as that would require an Internet connection. You may also want to check the network settings on the VM itself.

#3 omartf

omartf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

many thanks for your reply

I'm using Oracle VM virtual box 

my setting for Network is NAT ---  not 'host only'

is part of the solution using 'port forwarding' and, if so, how??

yes, I'm also wondering how I can connect to outlook.com but not internet explorer

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

If you are using NAT, port forwarding shouldn't be necessary.

Are you accessing outlook.com from a browser or a mail client on the XP VM? And when you say you can't connect to Internet Explorer, do you mean the program doesn't open on the VM, or it opens but you can't go to any websites?

#5 omartf

omartf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

after much investigation it looks as if i have only partial connection to the internet 

On clicking 'start' in virtual XP machine then clicking IE Explorer it goes to MSN UK site with outlook.com at the left corner and it says IE6 search no longer supported

on using 'bing'  on the left corner of the msn website some sites say page can't be displayed    others 'cannot find server'

i'm trying to download a driver for an old canon 'canoscanN1220' scanner that only works with Win XP

eventually i think i managed to download it but usb connection of the scanner did not work! The scanner is not recognised despite download of the relevant driver files. it's been very frustrating!

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

Looks like part of the issue is your version of IE. v6 is no longer supported and probably won't work on most websites. Try installing Firefox or Chrome on the VM and see if you get better results.

As of the printer, you'll need to check the settings in VirtualBox to ensure the VM has access to the USB ports on the Windows 10 host.

#7 omartf

omartf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

thanks for your info---i'll try your suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users