Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

locked hard drive

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 festo99

festo99

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:07 AM

I obtained a used computer that was suppose to have Win 8.0 installed, but it appears that it is Win 7.

Because I thought it was Win 8 I could install Win 10. When I attempted to do this I get  a, can not install because HD is locked.

I have tried many suggestions on how to unlock it but none have worked,

Yesterday I decided to put another HD in and I get the same  message. 

So my question is, is it the HD itself that's locked or something else.

At this time I would just like to get it back to whatever OS I  can use so that I can use the computer.

As you can probably tell I am a novice so any and all help,would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

take a picture of the error messege.....

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:53 AM

The best thing would be to contact the former owner to get the password.

Otherwise, see info at BIOS Password and Locked Hard Disk Recovery

Edited by buddy215, 19 March 2018 - 07:56 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

See Google Page.

FWIW.

Possibly Useful.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#5 festo99

festo99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

Thank you for all the prompt replies, I will try these as time permits.

#6 festo99

festo99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

Best Answer:  Verify that there's no restore partition, which is often the case on current HP/Compaq computers. If you're sure there's nothing on it you don't want to wipe, and no extra drives you don't know about, go to dban.sourceforge.net and download DBAN and burn it to a CD. Then boot off that CD and choose "autonuke". WARNING! DON'T LOSE TRACK OF THAT CD, because it's virtually impossible to recover anything if you accidentally wipe the wrong computer. It'll take hours to run, more than a day for a large drive. 

Once the drive is clean, check the manufacturer of the drive (Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital and Fujitsu are the big manufacturers) and go to their website to download their disk checking utility. Again, burn it to a CD and boot from the CD. That will tell you without a doubt whether the drive is good. Once you know it's a good drive, you can do a clean install of windows.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Do you think the above suggestion would work to unlock my Hard Drive.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

You've already answered your last question....QUOTE: Yesterday I decided to put another HD in and I get the same  message.

The link I gave in my first post described the problem and possible solutions.

If you can't get the password from previous owner then I think it might be possible to fix the problem by flashing
the bios. If that doesn't work then you will need to perform "surgery" on the mother board. Meaning you will need to
physically replace the bios chip.

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2018 - 05:07 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

I think you will get replies with the best potential if you tell us some more about the system and attach an image/picture of the message you are seeing.

Is the system laptop or desktop?

Do you think the system is store bought (Dell, HP, IBM, etc.) or assembled from components?

If the system is a Dell, what is the Service Tag number?

If the system is an HP, what is the Serial Number?

Describe what you have for bootable Windows installation media aka CD/DVD or USB.

Do you see on the system or in the battery compartment a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and if so relay the information about the installed OS for example, Windows Home Premium:

Attached File  f15fc3a7-ba55-4460-ba96-8e7967e46436.png   495.87KB   0 downloads

Keeping in mind that we can't see what you are seeing are you able to use some device (iPhone, tablet, etc) are you able to take a picture of what you see and attach it in a subsequent reply or post it to some file sharing location.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 festo99

festo99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

I will post that info  tomorrow.

#10 festo99

festo99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:14 PM

The system is a HP laptop Ser.#5CG3253PRM, MOD.#2000-2B19WM, PRODUCT #D1E80UA#ABA

NO TAG # NO COA IN THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT.

THE WINDOWS INSTALLATION MEDIA IS A WIN 10USB 3.0 STACK.

I was told this had WIN 8.0 OS on it but apparently they reinstalled Win 7 also.

Thinking it was win 8.0 I thought I could install Win 10, now this is the mess i am in. 

I took some pictures but I don't see a way to do attachments on this e-mail. If someone could enlighten me on how to add the pictures I will forward them.

This is my last go around with this if I don't find a way to resolve this.

I deeply appreciate all the help from those of you who have posted and do not want to take anymore of your time.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

To post attachments:

Look in the lower right hand corner of the REPLY box...click More Reply Options button.

Then just follow the yellow brick road.

Louis

#12 festo99

festo99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:32 PM

Not sure if this will be any help or not .

image 1064 is the first thing that comes up when powered on. I shut down and restart with the USB Media. When this loads I choose Rpair this PC.

image 1066 this is what comes up next. I choose Troubleshooting.

next up is 1067  give you the option to Reset PC or Adv, Options, which takes me to choose what I want to keep that, takes me to 1068 Reset this PC Which has the caption "the drive where Windows is installed is Locked. Unlock the drive and try again. I cancel and go back to 10666 Then I choose 1068 Advanced Options.I have tried all 6 options. if I select System Restore I get you must specify which Windows installation to restore.  restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore.  I go back to System Image Recovery and I have no image.  Next is Startup Repair,Startup repair could not repair your PC.

Next is CMD prompt  I tried numerous commands and none were successful.   next was UEFI firmware  takes me to restart  which takes me back to image 1064.   Next is Go Back To Previous Build.  Message says We ran into a problem and wont be able to take you back to the previous build. Try resetting your current build instead (Troubleshoot> reset PC)  Which didn't work.

After I put the USB Media in that takes me to two choices Upgrade or Custom 

If I choose up grade it takes me to Compatibility Report telling me to remove my Media and  restart my computer and that just takes me back to where I was and do it all again.

If I Custom it takes me to image  1065.

I don't know how in hell anyone can make heads or tails to this. and encourage you to not waste much time with it because after this I'm throwing in the towel.

Attached Files

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

You have a HP computer with a Dell Utility Partition. This is the new drive you placed in the computer? In image 1065, if you do not need any data on the drive, click each partition and click the delete icon. When all partitions are deleted click next. Do you need data from the drive in your 1065 image?

#14 festo99

festo99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:05 AM

Apparently that was installed before I got it. I do not need any data on 1065.

Will have to figure out how to delete these as I had tried previously.  

Thank you very much for finding that.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:30 AM

You can delete them by clicking each partition and then delete in your image 1065 or do they not delete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users