Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates not happening ..

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

In my taskbar, I have a Windows Defender Security Centre shield, constantly showing a red cross over it. I click on it and it takes me to Settings, Windows Update, which shows ..

Updates are available

• 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776)

Your device is at risk because it's out of date and missing important security and quality updates. Let's get you back on track so Windows can run more securely. Select this button to get going:

.. and the button is Restart Now

This has been the case for about 10 days now. And I have re-started dozens of times, but the red cross still keeps coming up. It is green initially, then goes to yellow, and always ends up red within half a minute or so, even if I re-start over and over again within a few minutes.

I don't know what to do about this, or what is going on. I have the system on full automatic updates (or whatever the default is) and have never barred any updates.

What is happening, and what can I do about it. I would hate to have my computer at risk, which it seeems to be at the moment.

Thanks

JA

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:39 AM

A poster with similar issue here

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/106100-windows-updated-16299-309-kb4088776-restart-required-complete.html

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

Do you have an anti virus other than Windows Home Defender?

Have you tried restarting Home Defender?

To restart the anti virus follow the instructions below.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

Click on Update & security, then click on Windows Defender.

Click on Open Windows Defender Security Center, then click on Turn  on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

One quick thing to try is to go into elevated command prompt and remove the KB4088776 as follows and then try reinstalling. 

wusa /uninstall /kb:4088776

exit

Then Restart computer and trying installing updates. 

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#5 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

Do you have an anti virus other than Windows Home Defender?

Have you tried restarting Home Defender?

To restart the anti virus follow the instructions below.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

Click on Update & security, then click on Windows Defender.

Click on Open Windows Defender Security Center, then click on Turn  on.

Thanks all for your contribution.

dc3, no, I do not have any other anti virus.

Did as you suggested .. the cloud based thing WAS off, so I turned it on and re-started a couple of times.

Now the red cross stays green for much longer, but reverts to red.

However .. in Windows Update, I clicked view installed update history. There I saw  two quality updates as showing failed to install. I clicked on their respective links;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4088776/windows-10-update-kb4088776

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074588/windows-10-update-kb4074588

and learnt in known issues, that ..

Even though the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update failed to install. Select Check for Updates to confirm that there are no additional updates available.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release ..

Although reading further down it says in was resolved in other updates .. and my computer shows kb4088776 as 0% downloaded ..

Seems to be a circular kinda mess created by W10, and I'm not sure what to do. Because they both appear in 'view installed update history', but when I click a button therein that says 'uninstall updates' they do NOT appear there at all, and the latest one there seems to be kb4058702 installed on 04  01 18.

Arggggghhhh!!!

It is so frustrating to have to try to sort this kind of thing from what calls itself 'the worlds handiest tool', and particularly with my very basic level of knowledge with these things.

JA

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

Did you try uninstalling th updates like I mentioned above?

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

Hi, there is only one way to properly uninstall updates, this method works, it is a bit involved (you do have to mod the registry), please read carefully and follow the instructions:-

Attached Files

#8 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

Did you try uninstalling th updates like I mentioned above?

Yes, I did.

I assumed  wusa /uninstall /kb:4088776  is a command I run through the run function in the start menu, and although I haven't ever used that before, I did so, and got .. the update KB4088776 is not installed on this computer.

And that is further confirmed by going to uninstall updates in settings, which does not list it there as an installed update.

#9 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hi, there is only one way to properly uninstall updates, this method works, it is a bit involved (you do have to mod the registry), please read carefully and follow the instructions:-

Hi, thanks. Had a look at the document.

The instructions therein are way beyond my pay grade, and I do not feel confident in trying it.

In any case, it does not appear that the update is installed .. or is it .. (my post #5 above).

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

Hi, It may look a little daunting, however it is really very simple, all you need to do is follow the instructions, and copy (OR copy paste) the cmd's, go through it again, and don't be frightened. Primary school children in East Timor have been able to do this.

#11 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:51 AM

Hi, It may look a little daunting, however it is really very simple, all you need to do is follow the instructions, and copy (OR copy paste) the cmd's, go through it again, and don't be frightened. Primary school children in East Timor have been able to do this.

It really is something I can't do.

You assume I know all the terms, acronyms, etc, that you use (or that the 4 pages of instructions use) but I don't. I don't even know what 'cmds' is (although primary school kids in East Timor do).

In any case, it seems to be all about removal of the said update, but nowhere in my computer does it show as installed - see previous comments.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

There are students in Estonia who are being taught to write computer code at the age of 7. That's great, but I would be willing to bet that the OP didn't have this opportunity when they started grade school, consequentially all of this technology is new to them.  You yourself wrote the following as a preface to the instructions, you stated...  "This is an altered fix from a tech net blog, unfortunately it was far from user friendly."  The OP has indicated that they are not comfortable performing the suggested repair.  I would take this at face value and not try to talk the OP into trying this.  There is a registry edit included in your instructions, if a mistake is made in this process it could render the OPs computer inoperable.    

Edited by dc3, 21 March 2018 - 11:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

Hi, well it is really quite simple to follow those instructions and more importantly it is the only way to resolve any updates in a "pending",or "staged" state. So if the OP cannot preform this, I suggest they get a friend to do it for them. It does not help when you make ridiculous statements:-

There is a registry edit included in your instructions, if a mistake is made in this process it could render the OPs computer inoperable."

This is a totally non critical part of the registry the key itself is being removed, windows recreates this key when needed, It is impossible for your doomsday scenario to apply. You most likely do not understand this, and you do not help by deferring people from properly structured fixes. 

#14 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

Hi, well it is really quite simple to follow those instructions and more importantly it is the only way to resolve any updates in a "pending",or "staged" state. So if the OP cannot preform this, I suggest they get a friend to do it for them. It does not help when you make ridiculous statements:-

There is a registry edit included in your instructions, if a mistake is made in this process it could render the OPs computer inoperable."

This is a totally non critical part of the registry the key itself is being removed, windows recreates this key when needed, It is impossible for your doomsday scenario to apply. You most likely do not understand this, and you do not help by deferring people from properly structured fixes. 

I appreciate you are trying to help, but you continue to presume that just because you (and some students in Estonia) are comfortable with what you are talking about, everyone else should be too. I AM NOT, and all my friends, as far as I know, are less computer savvy than I.

dc3's statements are NOT ridiculous  .. to ME .. they may be to you but are quite poignant .. to ME.

I have seen time and again in forums such as this, strong warnings about playing around with the registry (whatever .. wherever that is).

In any case, you have again, not addressed the one important issue (to me) that I have mentioned to you several times now, and that is, that nowhere in my computer does it show that the subject update is in fact installed at all.

So again, thanks for trying to help, and if there's nothing more you can contribute at my level, that's OK.

#15 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 423 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

Try this video....it should make the process as simple as possible.Here is the link to get "Media creation tool"  Follow the instructions in the video exactly  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by Mason21, 21 March 2018 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users