Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 4200 Printer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kboaz2001

kboaz2001

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

I have an older HP 4200 printer that I use for my desktop publishing. and it works great! The only issue is that it uses the old parallel printing port, and I had to purchase a special adapter cable that converts it into a USB plug for connecting it into the computer.

I would love to make this printer wireless, if I can figure out what card I need to accomplish this. Any ideas?

At the very least, i would like this printer accessible on my network so that other computers can use it. Any help would be grateful appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

It's been several years now but, the one I used to use was a TrendNet TEW-P11G. Because Parallel printers have fallen out of favor, this model has been discontinued for a while. However, it appears but you can still find a used one for sale here and there.

If you're interested, here a few links:

Amazon.com > TRENDnet 2-Port Wireless USB 2.0/Parallel Print Server TEW-P11G (White) - Used, Good Condition $66.30 with free shipping

YouTube > TRENDnet 2-Port USB/Parallel Print Server, Wired and Wireless models

TrendNet's TEW-P11G web page

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

One of the reasons I never discard an old computer, especially if it still works is this situation.. I had an older Intel P3 MOBO that had a parallel port.  Adding a wired network card and using it as a printer server that all on the network could use.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

I wonder if something like this would help

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272046467629

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

According to the specs on that printer, you should be able to install an HP Jet Direct Print Server card in the 1st slot on the printer designed for this card.

Compatibility page here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpp03279

You can get this server card on Amazon for $24.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F3AKQG/ref=psdc_13983761_t1_B000213ZFE

(you'll need to connect to a wireless bridge,

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/

or use  power line ethernet)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704165

If you still have the owner manuals, please refer to those for installation and set up, if not you can get these docs on line from the HP support web site

Edited by Joe C, 19 March 2018 - 05:49 AM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

I really like the HP bluetooth dongle they have for some printers, have one on a HP 5500 and it works great for the tablets and phones that can't print through the network to the print server.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,757 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

I really like the HP bluetooth dongle they have for some printers, have one on a HP 5500 and it works great for the tablets and phones that can't print through the network to the print server.

Yep, I linked one a few posts above, but don't know if that will suffice the OP.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

Yep, I linked one a few posts above, but don't know if that will suffice the OP.

I don't think this printer has a usb port to plug a dongle into

The op stated:

I had to purchase a special adapter cable that converts it into a USB plug for connecting it into the computer.

Which means that the usb is designed to plug into his usb port on his pc, that would probably be a male end such as parallel port on printer to usb on pc type of cable.

If this printer will be close to the wireless/wired router, then with the Jet Direct card for the printer can be connected to the router with an ethernet cable and wireless/wired networked from there

Edited by Joe C, 20 March 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

The HP JetDirect card is the way to go especially if you can use an Ethernet cable to plug it into the router.  Most folks don't realize that wired or wireless, all of the devices are on the same network.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users