Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC Build - Some Initial Specs to Review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a new PC soon (most probably custom built at my local PC shop).  Basically, I am looking for a desktop PC that is quiet, runs fast and has plenty of disk space.  I need a home PC that can do a bit of everything, including being able to smoothly stream video (e.g. YouTube at 1080p 60fps) and some gaming.

Here are my initial specs:

• 512 GB SSD (for OS and apps)
  • 2 TB HDD (for data)
  • 8 GB DDR4 RAM
  • AMD Ryzen processor
  • Silent PSU
  • Graphics card with at least 2 GB of memory
  • DVD Burner
  • Windows 10 OS (Home or Pro)
  • 6 USB ports on back/2 USB ports on front or more (including USB 3.0 ports)

I already have peripherals that I can use (including a monitor/speakers) - I just need a new desktop tower PC to plug them all into!  I live in England, in case this is relevant to availability of parts etc.

Do these specs look okay?  Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

It looks like you are on course, not for hot gaming very good for all else.

Forgot what wattage power supply?

Edited by OldPhil, 18 March 2018 - 02:53 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

My current PC uses a 400 watts/240 volts PSU.  Would the wattage need to be increased for these specs?

Also, is 8 GB of memory generally enough, or should this be increased to say 16 GB?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

I would be looking more toward 550+ especially with the thought of hungrier card, they do degrade over time a bit more is always better.  The video card is likely at 400 as a base,  More always better!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

The wattage requirement is really driven by the GPU you want to use.  And they are getting better (more power efficient).  Something like the following spec would be quite comfortable with a 400w PSU.  

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fhyzMZ

The Ryzen 2 is supposedly coming out in April so it might be worth waiting until then.  No specs have been confirmed to my knowledge but I think the general opinion is that they will have improvements in clock speed (plus a more sophisticated "turbo" implementation) and improvements to power consumption.

With regards to GPU's, pricing is not good at the moment.  If your gaming requirements are quite modest then you could save quite a bit of money by going for an APU like the Ryzen 5 2400G.  It's integrated video (Vega 11) is about the same level as a Geforce GT1030.  If you do decide to go that route, as it can use quite a bit of system memory, 16 Gb of fast, dual channel memory would be my recommendation to go with it.  Otherwise, 8 Gb should be enough for most purposes.  I'm currently using 8 Gb.  It's really enough for most things unless you want to run multiple VM's, have literally hundreds of browser tabs open, work on large high resolution video projects or edit large numbers of massive photo's etc...  You'll probably know if you fall into that category.

Edited by jonuk76, 19 March 2018 - 02:51 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

Ryzen 2 is just small improvement but it should come at same price as "Ryzen 1" and/or lower "Ryzen 1" prices. Worth waiting IMO.

Video card prices are so ridiculous I would buy something very basic now and better later. Alternatively grab something from used market.

Since 850 Evo is already three year old design and replaced by 860 Evo, I would take something more modern like https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ft8j4D/crucial-mx500-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd1

Edited by Drillingmachine, 19 March 2018 - 03:14 PM.

#7 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for your replies - I will look into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users