Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugged in webcam, got BSOD, now Windows 7 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 okno2018

okno2018

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Plugged my webcam into a Ubuntu computer. Then later I plugged it in Windows 7 computer. Windows 7 got blue screen of death and now refuses to boot.

Whenever I try to boot, it takes me to Startup Repair, which fails: "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically."

The problem details says "StartupRepairOffline... CorruptFile"

I tried System Restore, but that failed too.

I've also tried booting into safe mode, but Startup Repair comes up instead.

I also tried: 

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Both said they completed successfully, but this made no difference. Computer still tries to do the Startup Repair when I try to boot it.

When I run:

sfc /scannow

I get: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS."

If I do:

chkdsk D: /r

I get "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."

Edited by okno2018, 18 March 2018 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

Does tapping F8 at boot and selecting "Use Last Known Good Configuration" allow you to boot normally?

#3 okno2018

okno2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

Does tapping F8 at boot and selecting "Use Last Known Good Configuration" allow you to boot normally?

No, same thing happens. Just takes me to Startup Repair.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

See the below post by BC member jenae. I would recommend you read it twice before doing the procedure. You will be replacing the registry hives in the Regback folder to the config folder. This will only work if the hives in Regback are not zero bytes and have a date before your problem. Because you have access to a command prompt I don't believe it's necessary to get a bootable Windows 10 disk which would still work on a Windows 7 computer as you can get a command prompt. The same procedure can also be done using a live linux disk to access the hard drive offline.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/672901/black-screen-with-cursor-help-plz-fix/?p=4463420

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 March 2018 - 12:45 PM.

#5 okno2018

okno2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

I've followed the instructions until it returns the hives in Regback - they are not zero bytes, and they are all dated 2 weeks (03/08/2018) before my issue.

If I proceed to the next step:

copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)

it won't delete any of the data/files/etc on my hard drive will it?

Edited by okno2018, 18 March 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

What is the current directory in the above command prompt? If Regback that command will only copy the files in Regback to the config folder. It will not touch any data on your computer.

I am assuming D: is the correct drive letter of your Windows partition.

#7 okno2018

okno2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

Yes, Regback is the current directory in my command prompt and D: is the correct drive letter of the Windows partition.

I'll go ahead with the copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config command then.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Fingers Crossed. Good Luck.

#9 okno2018

okno2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Still getting the same issue: when the computer restarted, Startup Repair came up and failed.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

I am out of ideas unfortunately. Unless somebody else has other ideas, I would pull all your personal data off  to a USB external drive either using a USB adapter after removing the drive or using a live linux disk which would save the cost of the adapter.

If the computer is an OEM with a factory restore partition you could reset after saving your data. Is there a legible key on a COA sticker which would be on the side for a desktop and bottom for a laptop? What version of Windows 7 is it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 March 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#11 okno2018

okno2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

Unfortunately the desktop case was changed a while back... so I no longer have access to the key. Would buying a new windows key, downloading windows 7 ISO onto a USB and then installing from that work? (bearing in mind that I only have Ubuntu/Mac computers to download & setup the windows usb on).

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

You can still access the key with Produkey but you would need to pull the drive and attach it using a USB adapter on another Windows computer. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/64600/how-to-recover-windows-and-software-keys-from-a-broken-computer/

Something that may work. Lazesoft Windows Recover My Password can recover a key per this link. You need to run it on a Windows computer to get an iso that boots. I have to check but I have an iso in a dropbox account of Recover My Password. I can PM you the link and you could use Unetbootin to create a bootable USB flash drive or you could use the linux dd command to copy the iso to a USB flash drive. I have to verify if it can recover a password though.

Or you can download Hiren Boot iso and use it as shown in the link using Joshua's key reader.

#13 okno2018

okno2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for all your help John, to be honest I think I'm going to give up on Windows and just install Ubuntu onto the machine. Goodbye last remaining Windows computer!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for all your help John, to be honest I think I'm going to give up on Windows and just install Ubuntu onto the machine. Goodbye last remaining Windows computer!

Smart Choice. I'm ditching Windows after end of life of Windows 7 and 8. I can't deal with Windows 10. I have no need for X box, Candy Crush, Mixed Reality, and a host of other crap I don't need not to mention two major upgrades per year.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 March 2018 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users